Well, folks, I leave for Mexico early tomorrow morning. I hope to pop on here and there while on vacation.

Seven waterers are full, poop was cleaned up (somewhat) out of the coop, little feeders are full (that only lasts a day or two) plus I put out a large bowl of feed snd have a large hanging feeder.

I plan to leave the coop door open, so the run better be as secure as I think it is. I just don’t have confidence DH and DD would let them out at a reasonable time each morning and don’t want them to get trapped in the coop. There’s a large waterer in the sunroom, but still!

I just don’t know what else to do. My neighbor who normally looks after them while I’m gone has a bum knee and it seems silly to ask him to look after them when my family is home.
You've set them up well I think. They'll be hunky dory.

Well, folks, I leave for Mexico early tomorrow morning. I hope to pop on here and there while on vacation.

Seven waterers are full, poop was cleaned up (somewhat) out of the coop, little feeders are full (that only lasts a day or two) plus I put out a large bowl of feed snd have a large hanging feeder.

I plan to leave the coop door open, so the run better be as secure as I think it is. I just don’t have confidence DH and DD would let them out at a reasonable time each morning and don’t want them to get trapped in the coop. There’s a large waterer in the sunroom, but still!

I just don’t know what else to do. My neighbor who normally looks after them while I’m gone has a bum knee and it seems silly to ask him to look after them when my family is home.
Have a wonderful trip! :celebrate

I have seen different sizes of Red Shouldered Hawks here. I can’t visually tell Red Shouldered, Sharp Shinned and Coopers apart (we have them all), but I can tell by the call. The huge ones must be the females.
Females are larger for sure

I'm sure they will be fine. I understand not trusting your spouse to do what is right at the right time.

That looks like the same thing Hattie had. Feather shredding.
IMG_1898.JPG

(Same pic, just bigger and showing off how out of focus it is, sorry.)
Huh. So not only is May NOT a blue Australorp (what I ordered), she's got some feather shredding, and thus probably NOT pure JG either...? Just the little I've looked, JGs don't come in lavender.

Ok. So most likely Lav Orp crossed with JG, with the feather shredding gene. Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

She is a nice bird, regardless. Stormy, the other "blue Aussie" (but really a JG) may also be a cross then. She's smaller than May, and a darker blue.

Here's Stormy:

IMG_1770 (2).JPG

Not going back to that breeder... that's for sure!

View attachment 2918224
(Same pic, just bigger and showing off how out of focus it is, sorry.)
Huh. So not only is May NOT a blue Australorp (what I ordered), she's got some feather shredding, and thus probably NOT pure JG either...? Just the little I've looked, JGs don't come in lavender.

Ok. So most likely Lav Orp crossed with JG, with the feather shredding gene. Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

She is a nice bird, regardless. Stormy, the other "blue Aussie" (but really a JG) may also be a cross then. She's smaller than May, and a darker blue.

Here's Stormy:

View attachment 2918227

Not going back to that breeder... that's for sure!
I think they are both pretty. But I know nothing about breeds.

I think they are both pretty. But I know nothing about breeds.
They are both pretty. And nice birds. Their breed/breed quality is not a big issue for me; I'm not trying to raise or breed show quality chickens.

I just hope this breeder is not selling birds like this to people who are looking for that kind of quality, and like me, are new to chickens.

Good Afternoon everyone, I hope you all are having a good Saturday. I feel bad about complaining after the recent losses but I hope you all will understand a bit more then my family. The fact that Lilt Bit is a cockerel instead of the pullet I'd come to see him as is like a kick in the teeth. I should be used to this by now as it seems all I hatch out is boys, but I was soo sure I had a pullet on my hands this time. In fact since Lil Bit has a recessive single comb and really no beard and head poof he shouldn't have been able to hide his gender so long. Even now, looking hard at his physical features, tiny comb and very little wattles, they still scream pullet. But attitude wise, in the last 4 days there has been a total 180 change, he's found his voice and is letting the world know it. He's also doing the rooster dance or herding as Alex refers to it to me and others. He is not aggressive or mean so that will make it easier to find him a new home. I'm going to keep him until I can find the perfect match for him. He needs a place with a couple of his own ladies his size, not necessarily silkies. If I can find that honestly I'll probably just give him to them. I've had six months to get attached to him and I only want the best in his future home.

Back
Top Bottom