Good Afternoon everyone, I hope you all are having a good Saturday. I feel bad about complaining after the recent losses but I hope you all will understand a bit more then my family. The fact that Lilt Bit is a cockerel instead of the pullet I'd come to see him as is like a kick in the teeth. I should be used to this by now as it seems all I hatch out is boys, but I was soo sure I had a pullet on my hands this time. In fact since Lil Bit has a recessive single comb and really no beard and head poof he shouldn't have been able to hide his gender so long. Even now, looking hard at his physical features, tiny comb and very little wattles, they still scream pullet. But attitude wise, in the last 4 days there has been a total 180 change, he's found his voice and is letting the world know it. He's also doing the rooster dance or herding as Alex refers to it to me and others. He is not aggressive or mean so that will make it easier to find him a new home. I'm going to keep him until I can find the perfect match for him. He needs a place with a couple of his own ladies his size, not necessarily silkies. If I can find that honestly I'll probably just give him to them. I've had six months to get attached to him and I only want the best in his future home.
I can understand your disappointment. :hugs

@featherhead007: I thought you asked about trimming a rooster's spur that is curving into his leg...but not finding the post nor a response. If it isn't already touching his leg, you can gently file with a human nail file (metal works best) the end. I haven't ever 'trimmed' a spur, only filed...so if it is really bad and needs more than a little filing...maybe @Shadrach or someone else can help.

I went out today for the first time in weeks. I found another old school friend. The girls are definitely back in town :D

Happy catuday
20211204_102516.jpg

Good Afternoon everyone, I hope you all are having a good Saturday. I feel bad about complaining after the recent losses but I hope you all will understand a bit more then my family. The fact that Lilt Bit is a cockerel instead of the pullet I'd come to see him as is like a kick in the teeth. I should be used to this by now as it seems all I hatch out is boys, but I was soo sure I had a pullet on my hands this time. In fact since Lil Bit has a recessive single comb and really no beard and head poof he shouldn't have been able to hide his gender so long. Even now, looking hard at his physical features, tiny comb and very little wattles, they still scream pullet. But attitude wise, in the last 4 days there has been a total 180 change, he's found his voice and is letting the world know it. He's also doing the rooster dance or herding as Alex refers to it to me and others. He is not aggressive or mean so that will make it easier to find him a new home. I'm going to keep him until I can find the perfect match for him. He needs a place with a couple of his own ladies his size, not necessarily silkies. If I can find that honestly I'll probably just give him to them. I've had six months to get attached to him and I only want the best in his future home.
Don't feel bad about your news, it's understandable, and we're your "chicken family"! I'm sorry Lil' Bit is not what you thought but it's great you care about him and sooooo good of you to have the patience to wait until everything feels right about where to place him.

@featherhead007: I thought you asked about trimming a rooster's spur that is curving into his leg...but not finding the post nor a response. If it isn't already touching his leg, you can gently file with a human nail file (metal works best) the end. I haven't ever 'trimmed' a spur, only filed...so if it is really bad and needs more than a little filing...maybe @Shadrach or someone else can help.
One of my Campines tore her spur. It was hanging by a thread & Shad advised me to cut the whole thing off & clean it thoroughly with Chlorhexidine. He warned it would bleed profusely [it didn't; I think that was done with before I noticed], have some cornflour ready to staunch any bleeding, & cover with pine tar but do not cover the wound with a dressing. He said he uses a scapel but I just used really sharp scissors. Whatever you use needs to be super sharp. Spurs are tough.

One of my Campines tore her spur. It was hanging by a thread & Shad advised me to cut the whole thing off & clean it thoroughly with Chlorhexidine. He warned it would bleed profusely [it didn't; I think that was done with before I noticed], have some cornflour ready to staunch any bleeding, & cover with pine tar but do not cover the wound with a dressing. He said he uses a scapel but I just used really sharp scissors. Whatever you use needs to be super sharp. Spurs are tough.
I might chime in here to because know of a hen who grows a curly spur back towards her leg. My neighbour's hen.

Twice I've held her while he snips the end off. I think he used a small wire cutter. Each time he removed a tiny portion of spur from the very end, no more than 5mm.

Last edited:
I found out that Porterville municipal airport is socketed in with fog. But I’m coming back home anyways. I’m cleared to land (not VFR like I wanted, but my Marie is flying great, and I’m clear using instruments. I’m pretty sure that no one is out on the runway anyways. ) If I ever make the news, it won’t be because of a crash! Even my mountain flying time has assured me of the new rating! Yay. :D:cool:

Deep Sadness and a Return Visitor

Only after some direct encouragement from @RoyalChick yesterday have I spent anytime with the remainders of my tribe since Sunday. Somehow I just could not face them. So this morning I forced myself to go visit them. Here are some photos of everyone.
View attachment 2916194View attachment 2916196View attachment 2916197

No one has been permitted outside the complex since the event except for a short time when I allowed everyone out to say a formal goodbye to Sylvie. They were briefly interested in the grave but quickly when back to the complex and huddled. They are scared and rightfully so.

While I sat with them today in the big run, this showed up and landed on the pool shed.
View attachment 2916195

I was able to get a reasonable estimate on its size. It is about 15 inches head to tail. So still a juvenile. It is a good thing everyone was locked in the complex. They hide from predators in air in the apple trees and trumpet vine. Here us the view the hawk had from the top of the pool shed.
View attachment 2916198

Here is the tribe hanging out thinking they were safe. They are not.
View attachment 2916228View attachment 2916230

This hawk clearly knows its business. For now I'm stuck. I can't let them out at all. To everyone with a suggestion on how to deal with the hawk. I simply am not interested at this point. The hawk wins. The tribe will live in the complex until spring. I could not stand another loss and I'm not willing to take any risk at all any longer.

Thank You
I know that there are many hugs waiting for me to go and catch up on. Thank you all for you sympathy and support. I don't know that I will be going back and catching up for some time. I still haven't stopped crying myself without reading all of those posts. I promise I will.

To everyone who wonders how I am doing, I'm not doing well at all. I thought by now I would feel better or at least start to be over it but I am simply not. Perhaps I never will be. I do know that when I did look at the tribe today all I saw was the ladies who are no longer here. Some by my failures, some not, but missing none the less.

This was not your fault.

4:50 pst Emily Angel left to be with the other angels and left this world a better place because she was here for a short time. She died in my arms, she died fighting for her last breath. Emily was a good member of my tribe, and an honor to have known. Rest in peaceful splendor lovely lady! :love:hit

Alexander, are you okay? “Hell no, would you be?”!!!

May you have the calmness to know she is no longer in pain and is living free and healthy.

My prayers are with you.

I arrived back home safely. I brought my friend back with me. She’s going to spend some time with me here now. It’s Christmas time after all. I invited her, she accepted. She can have the other spare room. And she said she would attend church with me tomorrow. All the chooks are safe and well fed. Long story short (I won’t be alone for the holiday) :)

Back
Top Bottom