@BY Bob I have so many memories and pictures of my Beetov-Hen, I have no idea where or how to start a tribute to her. You had your ā€œBest hen everā€ , My lady Beetov-Hen was mine. :idunno Itā€™s gonna take some time to gather up all I need to say about her. (I know that you understand that) I never really knew, I was so attached to her, until she was gone.
View attachment 2963197View attachment 2963204
Please post whatever pictures you wish to share. I love seeing and remembering her. šŸ„°

You think so? It sounds like an alert to me. Maybe I need to hang out near the coop after they go to roost and listen for the purr. šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ Have never heard that sound except for an alert.
That's not an alert with my girls. Besides no~one really seems to be on alert to me. Aurora is preening. Phyllis seems to be ignoring the whole thing. That's not alert behaviour. They're listening to the purr ~ which is what my girls do. Sometimes others will join in but often it's just one hen.

I have to say though that usually by the time I'm aware the alert has been given my lot are all high tailing it for the safety of the coop.

That sounds a lot like the roosting purr my lot make when they are really happy & contented.
Where have you been? Everyone has me believing it was some kind of an alarm. I like this translation much better. šŸ˜

If we only we could be sure. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Sorry, Bob. Dealing with mini dramas my end. I think I've missed a fair bit.

I know every tribe is different but that low purring sound is contentment with my lot. They are all @ the back door just now & someone gave an alert. It was loud & a trilling sort of scream. Miner bird! Miner bird! šŸ™„ They all went still & watched until it exited the yard. And they're harmless. Somewhere on my thread I have captured a little bit of it. It's often soft but can get super loud ~ especially if several hens join in.

Sorry, Bob. Dealing with mini dramas my end. I think I've missed a fair bit.

I know every tribe is different but that low purring sound is contentment with my lot. They are all @ the back door just now & someone gave an alert. It was loud & a trilling sort of scream. Miner bird! Miner bird! šŸ™„ They all went still & watched until it exited the yard. And they're harmless. Somewhere on my thread I have captured a little bit of it. It's often soft but can get super loud ~ especially if several hens join in.
I was poking a little at you but I really was not upset by the timing of your reply. I hope you are doing OK at this point. :hugs :hugs

Here is the hawk alert, you have to listen close. It's Aurora making the sound. I think this is what everyone thinks is happening in the coop. But you can see everyone is frozen by Aurora's call in this video and as you pointed out, they are not standing still in the coop.

That's not an alert with my girls. Besides no~one really seems to be on alert to me. Aurora is preening. Phyllis seems to be ignoring the whole thing. That's not alert behaviour. They're listening to the purr ~ which is what my girls do. Sometimes others will join in but often it's just one hen.

I have to say though that usually by the time I'm aware the alert has been given my lot are all high tailing it for the safety of the coop.
Well, clearly our girls have drastically different behavior. I 100% stick by believing that is an alert. Not an alarmā€¦ with an alarm, they run for cover. With an alert, they stand still. At least they do in my flock. Some will ignore it and preen, as shown in my video.

Back
Top Bottom