Another bitterly cold night last night. Down to 5F (-15C).
I was really worried about Dotty who is molting badly. Feathers everywhere and she looks half her normal size. They still don’t snuggle up at night so no warmth there.
I considered bringing her indoors but I knew it would stress her out.
Well she survived, and doesn’t seem to be any worse for wear. The next single digit night is next week and I worry she will be even more naked by then.
Poor Dotty. Why couldn’t she molt in the Fall?!

67B57A27-1EFC-4F00-AB95-96ACEB30B336.jpeg
E07FE287-24AE-49DF-91B3-15513DDC6665.jpeg

I was really worried about Dotty who is molting badly. Feathers everywhere and she looks half her normal size. They still don’t snuggle up at night so no warmth there.
Well she survived, and doesn’t seem to be any worse for wear. The next single digit night is next week and I worry she will be even more naked by then.

View attachment 2968475View attachment 2968476
Cream legbar?

Yeah, my hens decided to melt too. One of them has got it’s feathers back, just in time for snow. (The one in my profile pic). But there is still another that’s molting.

Cream legbar?

Yeah, my hens decided to melt too. One of them has got it’s feathers back, just in time for snow. (The one in my profile pic). But there is still another that’s molting.
Yes, Crested Cream Legbar - and so is her sister Minnie whose grey spangled chest you can see off to the side on the first photo. They are supposed to be fully red-breasted apparently, but I really love Minnie's new look!

Ok I need some advice here. My one silkie Fluffy is looking very raggidy, I got a look at her tonight and all her feathers are gone on her belly from tail to base of neck with just a strip of feathers remaining along her keel, so bald on both sides of her breast/belly.

I do not see any creepy crawlies, and her feathers are white and clean other wise. I know her wing feathers are also just terrible, with what appears just the stalks now.

I do not see anyone else like this and the other silkie a frizzle seems ok.

Any thoughts? I don't think molting as I don't see any white feathers around. I am thinking the rooster is somehow to blame for all this, but how do I account for the belly being bald,?
Any chance she was broody recently? Broody hens have been known to remove feathers from their bellies to better warm the eggs.

View attachment 2968475View attachment 2968476
That is not great. Her schedule is way off.

That is not great. Her schedule is way off.
Indeed it is. Like laying eggs in the middle of the night. She is a messed up kid. But I don’t really know what to do other than let her get on with it.
She got warm scrambled egg this morning and I think I will get some more starter/grower which is 22% protein. I suspect it is not healthy to give that much protein long term but maybe OK for short periods.

Here are all of my Cochin pictures. I think I have 2 or so more, but they are on the computer. I’ll try to post them later.

And I added a few fluffy butts :D
You have one quite interesting, all black, cochin! I've never seen a chicken with such large ears.🤔

:gig:gig:gig:gig

They are all quite lovely. I'm afraid to have cochins - must be very hard certain times of the year (spring jumps to mind) to keep their fluffy feet feathers clean.

Back
Top Bottom