You can see unusual eggs like this when the laying process first starts back up. It is very good that it is not thin shelled. How long ago was the feed change? I'm thinking that might be coincidental but may lead us to the real answer.
I was thinking the change in food was coincidental too. I was thinking it's an old girl's egg @Marie2020 , especially as she was a former egg farm hen.

I was thinking the change in food was coincidental too. I was thinking it's an old girl's egg @Marie2020 , especially as she was a former egg farm hen.
Yep. I'm with this. As hens wind down from laying you'll see some pretty weird looking eggs. Unfortunately rescues like ISAs are prone to reproductive problems.

See, this is why I need prefabs, that post made me anxious and concreted to me that I am not and never will be a builder of anything coopish 🤭
Sorry @BY Bob and friends, I know that prefabs aren’t the recommended housing choice 😕
Prefab can work fine if you understand the limitations, plan your tribe accordingly and keep them up by painting them, etc. My friend JD has used a prefab for 3 chickens for maybe 4 or 5 years now. It's all about being smart and deliberate.

I could handle it now I think. I remember the times as needing to not add more stress if I could help it and stopping was the best solution there. Not your fault in any way. Just life, and how it happens. You are a wonderful story-teller, and I love stories!

I might have the timeline all off, but I was planning to start a little flock as a newbie and getting all OCD about it, then caring for the Buckeyes while learning and still all OCD, the pandemic had begun and become full-on raging and life brought big changes. My uncle died from Covid in 2020, all isolated in a nursing home, my aunt there too in the assisted living side but they kept them apart until he was at death's door. Suited her up like a spaceman and he had dementia so I doubt he recognized her like that. It was horrible for her and for my cousins who couldn't figure out a way to even comfort their mother beyond phone calls because they weren't allowed to see or touch her either, and this made her fail even more. She died this last year. Back in 2020 one of his son's, my cousin died also (complications of cancer/chemo but could have been Covid-related, a heart attack), then another cousin (different family) died of Covid, then the uncle, father of that cousin, died of Covid too. I had loss of both music and day gig work, and I was still dealing with my mother's estate and belongings from her death in 2018. Two other people I knew more tangentially died from Covid. Not that different from so many people's experience, but a lot of loss.

I have better internet now than I did then, here's some pullet pics!
I think this first pic is Butters, I remember she liked to perch there. August 2020.
View attachment 2975178

View attachment 2975180
♥️ My heart goes out to you, you have certainly have taken so many blows. :hugs

I've seen such a lot of loss these past years, all down too covid, which seemed too cancel out every other medical urgent need.

It's been non stop continuous devastation everywhere :( not only with deaths and neglected illnesses but many marriages have broken under such immense pressures.
Children have been harmed due too abusive parents not be assessed many that could have been prevented from harm . :(

The mental and emotional pain people have endured is heartbreaking with no one being permitted too hold a hand or hug just too be able comfort each other in a natural way.

My heart breaks for the elderly and their families, not being able to be with each other to say good bye. @ChicoryBlue ♥️

My friend (who worked for the health system) wouldn't let her father go into care, I was relieved too know that she was with him too the end.
She knew they would have kept them apart and that was something she was not going too allow.

My prefab has been chugging along for five years now. It's needed a little help every now and then but otherwise serves its purpose.

My main complaint is the way they're advertised. Mine is allegedly suitable for six chickens. It can house two, tops.

And if you're thinking of 8-12 hens like I am, most of the prefabs are too small.
Yes ours was advertised to hold 6 full grown chickens and I could not CREATE a roost anywhere in the coop that would hold 6 leghorn PULLETS! It was big enough for 2 full grown leghorns tops. There should be an industry standard that they are held to.

Four little fluffy butts just for Bob. ;)
( I told them not to be shy)
20220127_141539.jpg

Back
Top Bottom