I have noticed that the egg production is down lately. Maybe it’s because of the weather getting hotter. Just when demand for the eggs gets stronger. The ladies lay off their production. Such is life, I guess. :idunno
I am down a hen - Curly being broody means likely 6 weeks for her not laying. When they are laying my silkies are my top producers.

Still tempted to throw eggs under her - maybe some barred rocks 🤗

I found a 3 egg nest in the carport today. It wasn't there this morning, but Storm and 2 white egg layers put them there today. They're gettiby aneaky.
Oh I have that issue!!!

IMG_20220515_093420.jpg

Well done. For my part I cobbled together a ground level Hooligan enclosure so now I need them to go to sleep so I can transfer them over. I hope this works and gets them out and about. Bernadette's leg is no better, but also no worse and I am convinced it is holding them all back because they won't go where Bernadette can't go.
😢

Well that was an unmitigated disaster.
:barnie
The best that can be said is that I learned some stuff.
One thing I learned is that the Hooligans are not very smart and definitely less smart than the Roadrunners were at the same age. Only Lulu could be said to have some brains.
The other thing I learned is that Bernadette is not able to go down ramps. She can't control her left foot so it slides down and she ends up doing the splits.
Both Bernadette and Bella are 'spatially challenged' (unlike Lulu who seems gifted in that department), so they will throw themselves at the wire directly where they are standing rather than finding the opening 6" to the left.
Nothing went as planned. I didn't move them after dark because both Bella and Bernadette were already out on the Chicken Palace floor. Bella managed to fly up back to their observation deck but Bernadette cannot get enough of a push off to do that so she was in a tizzy because she couldn't get back home. Of course it never crossed her mind to use the ramps up.
So I ushered Bernadette into the new special needs ground level area and she was quite content. I grabbed Bella and Lulu and put them in there as well. For a while it was all going swimmingly - they found the food and drink and all was good though Bernadette was tired from running around.
But then Lulu led them up the ramps back to their old home. Which is I guess fine except that those Hooligans have to get themselves out of there - it is not big enough for grown chickens, and as Bernadette gains body weight she will find it harder and harder to get up there.
I suppose I should close off their home but I am too much of a softy - they cry so pitiously.
I believe you're too hard on them and on yourself, I don't think it's such a disaster. They didn't hurt themselves and they didn't get too frightened though you did have to intervene. They will learn to find their ways around by following Lulu and if Bernadette stumbles or makes the split, it's better that it happens to her now when she still weighs very little and is still malleable! If you have the time and disponibility to stay with them maybe you could give them a few other tries letting them go back up if they feel they need to, before closing that area ?

I know you're afraid that Bernadette will hurt herself and make her condition worse, but that could be a risk for her all her life if her leg doesn't improve, and the sooner she learns to deal with stumbling and falling the better. Kids survive things that would break adults.

I agree with @Ribh you're doing good, trust little Bernadette and yourself!

I love this, your BFTP comments and catchup are filling in all the important gaps I missed while I was offline… I know that Is cheating, but I appreciate your catching up fortitude!
I have refrained myself from commenting too much because I don't want to clutter this thread, but I will make sure to pick out the really good stuff for you in the future Kris. 😎

Hi Everyone,

I'm only getting started on this thread (on page 143 of over 6000 - soooo much reading left.:th) I loved the stories and the pic. of all the beautiful ladies!

Here's a 'blast from the past': I make my chickens treats, too - but each time I clean out their feeders, I save the powder at the bottom that they won't eat...and when I make a treat such as @WhoDatChick, I mix in the powdered feed, too. Makes it a bit healthier, AND reduces waste :yesss:

Well, I can pretend it makes it healthier....kind of like extra tomato sauce on a pizza makes it healthier:p
There you are! I have been wondering when you'd show up on this thread.

Best mugshot I could get of "her". No idea yet on the little one, but "she's" feathering in chocolate with black under tones. Last egg to hatch from the incubator.
20220515_114014.jpg

Beak bomber is the cheeky little Cheetah clone.

20220515_193952.jpg

Adding more chat here to assist in NOT missing the spoiler. I think that pic will turn up again....

Back
Top Bottom