A box of Rocks:
(Sweet teen sleepover)
3589C862-8D3E-44C8-9741-5FE50C53D1A9.jpeg

Love love love the not chicken mugs. That little cockerel is going to be a handsome devil. Your golden wyandotte is a pretty little thing, too. Looks like you're getting a color extravaganza in them. Will you be able to keep the roo and have babies next year?
I will keep the little roo.
I don’t think I want babies next year but you never know.

I believe you're too hard on them and on yourself, I don't think it's such a disaster. They didn't hurt themselves and they didn't get too frightened though you did have to intervene. They will learn to find their ways around by following Lulu and if Bernadette stumbles or makes the split, it's better that it happens to her now when she still weighs very little and is still malleable! If you have the time and disponibility to stay with them maybe you could give them a few other tries letting them go back up if they feel they need to, before closing that area ?

I know you're afraid that Bernadette will hurt herself and make her condition worse, but that could be a risk for her all her life if her leg doesn't improve, and the sooner she learns to deal with stumbling and falling the better. Kids survive things that would break adults.

I agree with @Ribh you're doing good, trust little Bernadette and yourself!
Thank you for the words of encouragement.
I am actually not too afraid Bernadette will hurt herself and I do believe she will only learn to adapt if she goes out in the world and tries to do things. I am impressed by how much she is able to do and has already learned to do.
I am a little afraid that she won't be able to get away fast enough if one of the big chickens attacks her and that she needs to be able to find her way back to the safe places where the big ones can't reach her. Both Bella and Lulu can fly up to their penthouse. Bernadette just cannot leap up and however much she flaps she can't get above 18" (a half a meter).
I believe that Bella and Lulu are not going out and exploring the coop because Bernadette cannot physically do so and so they stay with her. Now they have access at ground level so I am hoping that Bernadette will be able to explore and the others will go with her.
But the signs are not encouraging. They have settled into their ground floor apartment and are spending their time cuddled together in a cardboard box just a few steps from a doorway to the wider coop world. They are alert but they prefer to watch everything from the comfort of the cardboard box!
They behave a bit like a cult - they have everything they need from each other and no need to enter into the outside world.
I have blocked off access to the penthouse because all of a sudden this morning the lovely Minnie has become very ill. I thought I felt a stuck egg but then it wasn't there so I am not certain. So Minnie has moved into the penthouse (hospital ward) and the Hooligans are confined to their ground floor apartment with access to the whole of the Chicken Palace if they would just get off their butts and explore!

Here they are cuddled in their ground floor apartment all tangled together in the cardboard box they love. They go out and eat and drink and then come back and spend the day together in the box.
4CA290DA-6619-4F7C-855D-F20E827C6214.jpeg

And here is Minnie who is really the picture of misery and who I fear I may lose. She is not moving and as you can see is very miserable. She looks just like Elizabeth before she died. Same thing - yesterday she was fine. This morning definitely not fine.
:(

A058E199-21D9-4A59-AE4F-F0C258A71D89.jpeg
CEE9CEB0-9DD9-42AF-B1F1-78A22054A548.jpeg

I am actually not too afraid Bernadette will hurt herself and I do believe she will only learn to adapt if she goes out in the world and tries to do things. I am impressed by how much she is able to do and has already learned to do.
I am a little afraid that she won't be able to get away fast enough if one of the big chickens attacks her and that she needs to be able to find her way back to the safe places where the big ones can't reach her. Both Bella and Lulu can fly up to their penthouse. Bernadette just cannot leap up and however much she flaps she can't get above 18" (a half a meter).
I believe that Bella and Lulu are not going out and exploring the coop because Bernadette cannot physically do so and so they stay with her. Now they have access at ground level so I am hoping that Bernadette will be able to explore and the others will go with her.
But the signs are not encouraging. They have settled into their ground floor apartment and are spending their time cuddled together in a cardboard box just a few steps from a doorway to the wider coop world. They are alert but they prefer to watch everything from the comfort of the cardboard box!
They behave a bit like a cult - they have everything they need from each other and no need to enter into the outside world.
I have blocked off access to the penthouse because all of a sudden this morning the lovely Minnie has become very ill. I thought I felt a stuck egg but then it wasn't there so I am not certain. So Minnie has moved into the penthouse (hospital ward) and the Hooligans are confined to their ground floor apartment with access to the whole of the Chicken Palace if they would just get off their butts and explore!

Here they are cuddled in their ground floor apartment all tangled together in the cardboard box they love. They go out and eat and drink and then come back and spend the day together in the box.
View attachment 3110450

And here is Minnie who is really the picture of misery and who I fear I may lose. She is not moving and as you can see is very miserable. She looks just like Elizabeth before she died. Same thing - yesterday she was fine. This morning definitely not fine.

View attachment 3110446View attachment 3110448
Oh dear - I sure hope she is ok, please let me know how things are, she sure is a beauty.

As for the trio, how about just forcibly taking them out and putting them on the grass so they get a taste for fresh grazing.

View attachment 3110450

View attachment 3110446View attachment 3110448
What have you tried too see if you can improve her? I'm 🙏 she'll recover, it may be something really simple. I thought Agatha was going but she's heaps better now

Back
Top Bottom