Yep I got one of those right now, it's like The Exorcist haha I am waiting for her head to spin around 😆
Today I put Penny (another broody Buff Orpington) in her own run adjacent to the others because she has been sitting for almost a month and isn't showing any signs of giving it up. When the others get in her space or chase her, she rushes back to her nest like a fluffy yellow beach ball! :p

I am hoping that with less competition, she will have a chance to feed well and with no nest, she can cool off a little. There is a lot of dry straw on the ground in that run under the covered roof, so who knows maybe she will just make a new nest in there. :rolleyes:

chicken interests in looking at dominant, co-dominant, recessive, and allelic genes and how they show up.

Okay, while not a gene expert (far, far from...basically, what I remember from HS bio class), I understand what dominant, co-dominant, and recessive genes are. ?But alllelic genes? Please enlighten me.:confused:

I really have to get me a SOP, as I understand there is genetic & breeding info in there as well as the standards...... Maybe Christmas next year, I'll get gifted it....:idunno

Okay, I have to wisecrack: how about if you graft cannabis with an apple tree?. I’m pretty sure that would be illegal. 👮‍♂️ No further comment :duc
Different species and too incompatible to graft… lol then again with GMO’s and some of the genetic splicing going on in commercial crops you never know! 😂 been legal here for quite a while and barely enforced for quite some time before that. Not my cup of tea personally, but back in the day you could make a good living if you were even halfway decent with plants. What I do find interesting though is the parallels between it and Alcohol as a mood/mind altering substance, it’s relationship to government and legality, and the industrial revolution. It’s got some very interesting social ramifications. But that’s a whole other bag of worms! I’m going to have to go stalk the chickens for tax photos now! Hah! One from yesterday I missed:
7C2A7A6E-3237-4B5E-801A-D99AFAD85A29.jpeg
Frankly, I just love gardening and growing actual vegetables…I also have no interest in going to work for a government sanctioned greenhouse (there’s one on Saltspring scooping up seasonal workers from everywhere), it pays ok, but no where near what I was making as an independent back in the day.

Okay, I have to wisecrack: how about if you graft cannabis with an apple tree?. I’m pretty sure that would be illegal. 👮‍♂️ No further comment :duc
Um, wouldn't work. Cannabis = herbaceous. Apple = woody
(Unless there is a cannabis tree I don't know about...which there very well could be, I'm so uninformed about cannabis......mainly because I don't care and secondarily because I'm up to the neck in what I am already trying to stay ahead of, :lau)

Will a head tuft count too??? (Asks Mystery chickie)
IMG_1048.JPG

Maybe big sis will pose, she has muffs!!!
IMG_0790.JPG

Even in a cuddle puddle you can see her muffs & beard! ( no, I don't look up to big sis AT ALL!!!!)
IMG_0831.JPG

Um, wouldn't work. Cannabis = herbaceous. Apple = woody
(Unless there is a cannabis tree I don't know about...which there very well could be, I'm so uninformed about cannabis......mainly because I don't care and secondarily because I'm up to the neck in what I am already trying to stay ahead of, :lau)

Will a head tuft count too??? (Asks Mystery chickie)
View attachment 3120266

Maybe big sis will pose, she has muffs!!!
View attachment 3120312

Even in a cuddle puddle you can see her muffs & beard! ( no, I don't look up to big sis AT ALL!!!!)
View attachment 3120313
Magnificent beard and muffs!!!
I love the little head tuft - like a tiny pill-box hat or maybe a subtle fascinator.

Okay, while not a gene expert (far, far from...basically, what I remember from HS bio class), I understand what dominant, co-dominant, and recessive genes are. ?But alllelic genes? Please enlighten me.:confused:

I really have to get me a SOP, as I understand there is genetic & breeding info in there as well as the standards...... Maybe Christmas next year, I'll get gifted it....:idunno
From my rough understanding it is genetic traits that share an allele and only manifest when the other trait is present or in the absence of the other trait. It’s quite hard to wrap my head around, and without stable power I’ve sort of resigned myself to not having an exotic snake pet… probably ever, so it’s not something I’ve brushed up on lately. It is mainly something that python breeders use to manipulate colours and patterns or “morphs” in their animals. I don’t know if it at all translates to plants or non reptiles, but would think it might be something we see in chickens with penciling and lacing. Python breeding and different morphs was also quite big business at one point, with some colour patterns going for thousands of dollars before they became common. Bear in mind I also have zero formal education in any of this, just a lot of reading, some personal experience, and most of that is pretty rusty (but I do know there’s zero chance, if that lowland bull can even mount our Herefords and Angus, of him making the offspring bigger or faster growing, or even particularly better foragers of poor pasture 🤦‍♀️)

Ok please pose for the camera like nice chickens… mommy owes taxes! Lots and lots of taxes.

Magnificent beard and muffs!!!
I love the little head tuft - like a tiny pill-box hat or maybe a subtle fascinator.
Oh, she will be so disappointed. She idolizes Lulu and though it was her own beginnings of an antennae. She wants to chat with Lulu, but her reception here is pretty spotty. Maybe because a pill-box hat doesn't get reception? 🤔 :lau

Sure feels like it - but it is actually only 8 days for Minnie!
Bernadette I think it will either be a lifelong disability or more optimistically an issue she will grow out of.
:fl
Hector' s toes have mostly straightened out on their own. I've been adding foods high in B2 to the scratch mix and that lot have been spending most of their days outside too. When he curls his toes, the bend is noticeable, but when he's walking, not so much. I also had to forcibly evict in the morning for a few days. Then they decided outside was THE place to be....to the point that Mera (I think) beats most of the adults outside. More sunshine is good, wriggling toes in grass is good. Great motivator to go exploring (PT) is sunshine.

Today I put Penny (another broody Buff Orpington) in her own run adjacent to the others because she has been sitting for almost a month and isn't showing any signs of giving it up. When the others get in her space or chase her, she rushes back to her nest like a fluffy yellow beach ball! :p

I am hoping that with less competition, she will have a chance to feed well and with no nest, she can cool off a little. There is a lot of dry straw on the ground in that run under the covered roof, so who knows maybe she will just make a new nest in there. :rolleyes:
Yep she will just make a new nest 😆

I drag Curly off the nest twice daily to eat drink and poop. She will also dust bathe then runs back to her golfballs silly gal....

From my rough understanding it is genetic traits that share an allele and only manifest when the other trait is present or in the absence of the other trait. It’s quite hard to wrap my head around, and without stable power I’ve sort of resigned myself to not having an exotic snake pet… probably ever, so it’s not something I’ve brushed up on lately. It is mainly something that python breeders use to manipulate colours and patterns or “morphs” in their animals. I don’t know if it at all translates to plants or non reptiles, but would think it might be something we see in chickens with penciling and lacing. Python breeding and different morphs was also quite big business at one point, with some colour patterns going for thousands of dollars before they became common. Bear in mind I also have zero formal education in any of this, just a lot of reading, some personal experience, and most of that is pretty rusty (but I do know there’s zero chance, if that lowland bull can even mount our Herefords and Angus, of him making the offspring bigger or faster growing, or even particularly better foragers of poor pasture 🤦‍♀️)

Ok please pose for the camera like nice chickens… mommy owes taxes! Lots and lots of taxes.
Kris, i have a hard time getting good pictures! I sat in the grass to get photos today, I checked for Chickie poop first 🤗

Back
Top Bottom