@RebeccaBoyd you might want to start cooling your eggs before letting them set them.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/nature/can-chickens-really-change-gender/
This is interesting. Out of the 14 hatched from the MIL incubator, 1 (my chippy) is for certain a cockerel. These will be 4 weeks middle of this week. Now, it's still early on the negative ID (NOT a cockerel), but she hasn't noticed any wattles or pink combs on hers yet. We were battling temps cold enough to freeze eggs when collecting, so had eggs get cooled (but not cold) before getting them into the house. My place sits in lower 60s in those temps, and I collected for a week. In another month, we should know definitively what our ratios are this time.

Introducing Horus, named by the senior the moment he heard about the wattles.

1 week ago, 3 weeks of age
20220522_091838_001.jpg

This evening, almost 4 weeks
20220528_194734.jpg

Here are a few pictures of Twig and George. I'm not even going to give George a girl name in hopes of a pullet. I saw George before he was fully dried, noticed the comb and huge feet then. Dried and fluffed up I still see the comb.
View attachment 3127594View attachment 3127595View attachment 3127596
I do believe to some extent Twig will have a beard and fluffy cheeks.
View attachment 3127599View attachment 3127600View attachment 3127602
They are both so adorable, but the one of Twig looking at the camera is just too much! I wonder if he is going to have that trait from Branch.....knowing and posing for the camera!

Sorry to tell you this but it's the sire that determines sex of offspring 💖 blame it on the guy!

I would love to see a pic of the silkie x, feom m my two, one had silkie feathering and you could tell at a couple weeks he was going to be so. The other had normal feathering.

But neither had feathers on legs...
Are you 100% certain of this, I thought it was the hen. I have one hen that I hatched out eggs from and 100% cockerels. She is my only Columbian Rock and she was in with Chickie Hawk. Her eggs were significantly lighter than all the other girls in there at the time and out of the 12 eggs I set from her it was 100% boys, but about 50/50 in the other hens…

That's great news.

My niece's hen has foamy green runny poop. I will tell her to do just that - a herd fecal sample.
I knew I should have snapped a photo of the broody poop today… it was AWFUL. Thrice the size of a normal large poop, green and semi liquid, as the mama is refusing almost all feed but grass. No worms… can’t wait until the babies hatch out sometime this week

Back
Top Bottom