I’ve popped by MJ, Ribh’s and Shad’s threads and stop by if I’m tagged or see something on the home screen, but I would not leave this thread. I justt can’t keep up. 🤣
I appreciate it when you stop by my thread Michelle. I'm so busy with work and other projects I don't post much, but I try to share a little every day, mainly to honour the hens.

I took Dakota back to the coop, but she would have none of that. She followed me back to the door, blocked me in, and pecked my foot. It was obvious that she wanted to go back inside the house, not stay with the others. :barnie
She has you well trained obviously!

Coop Raising

On Saturday I went to help @CrazyChookChookLady set up a new coop and run for Ned and his ladies. It was great to see him again and watch him manage his tribe. He really is an amazing lad.

Here is their new coop and run.
View attachment 3164984

They are planning to extend a second run out the back of the coop as well.

I wore the same hat that he had roosted on the day I left him with her but he clearly did not recognize me. He kept his ladies away from me and kept himself between me and them at all times. I'm glad he is such a good rooster but, as unrealistic as it was, I was a little sad he did not remember me.

Here he is leading his ladies through the trees and some close ups.

View attachment 3164986View attachment 3164987View attachment 3164988View attachment 3164989View attachment 3164990View attachment 3164991View attachment 3164992View attachment 3164993View attachment 3164994View attachment 3164995View attachment 3164996View attachment 3164997

The smaller roster next to him in photo #3 and alone with the ladies in photo #4 is his son Cappy. You can see how much smaller than Ned he is. Ned is a very large fellow much like his Dad, Stanley.

@Shadrach I know you don't read this thread anymore but I thought you would like this update.
Great post Bob! How is @CrazyChookChookLady these days? Is her work going well?

And it's great to see Cappy and know Stanley's teachings and genes continue.

He probably would feel right at home in your barn and enjoy himself.
But there are conditions...
1. Treats must be offered, not so he can eat them mind you. He will only eat 1 or 2 bites, he needs them to impress the ladies with and show that he is a good provider.
2. He is a little alarm clock. His crow does not carry, but he starts at 6 am on the dot. He does not care if it is the weekend or a weekday, 6 am he is waking you up. Once he is let out of the coop, he shuts up and you rarely hear him the rest of the day unless you encourage him.
3. He enjoys long cuddles and be it inside in your arms while you have coffee, or watch tv, or even outside just sitting. His day is not complete unless he gets to take a minimum of a 30 minute nap in your arms while you rub him all over.
4. And this one is very important. He MUST be returned, no permanent visits. I'm sure mom would do cartwheels if she thought Branch was leaving. Branch is my boy and my favorite and very special to me.
Wow 6am he likes to sleep in I see 😁 sorry but he will have to get up at 5am ! Other than that sounds good (no cecal poops tho....).

💖

I also remain surprised that Hattie has never been broody. Now Hattie is the only of my hens to have lived with a rooster. Maybe she just knows better. :confused:

Phyllis' broody streak is very surprising considering she is a Polish. They are not supposed to go broody. That just tells you about the experts. Phyllis follows her own rules and she was truly determined.

The most heart warming thing for me was how the entire tribe supported her efforts to hatch this time. They all gave her eggs and no one raised a beak to her the whole time.

I really wish I could have let her hatch this time.
Oh they are enablers haha I have that type! Found pink silkie egg under Misty today. 😊

I have come to the realization that 6 years is a long life for a chicken. Losses before then is common. I really wish this wasn't so but the realization is making it easier to not be surprised when things pop up. I am also much more appreciative of a hen like Hattie when she reaches 4 years old.

I was sad to say goodbye to Lilly but it was also easier because of the amazing life she led along with the realization the 7 years is a long life for a chicken.
Penelope is 6 💖 she looks good lays an egg a week... I sometimes think her hearing is going, but otherwise I think she is good, but I do worry about her, but you know Bob you are correct, it's all about quality not quantity. A good life - which I hope she is enjoying - is what it's all about 🤗

Back
Top Bottom