Thanks, RC! Miss you! I just put a hose on the nest, which is covered with a sheet at the moment, and there was zero activity. I’d like to uncover it, inspect and really soak it, but I think I’ll wait until night time. The two stings I got when I discovered the nest swelled up quite a bit, and I’d rather not risk more. The non-toxic method was mixing peppermint pure castile soap and pouring it over the nest.
Sorry about the stings. If you get another one, run right in the house and make a slightly runny paste of baking soda and water. Put that on the sting area and within just a minute or two the pain and swelling are gone. I've done this multiple times on myself and my children and it has never failed me. It's as if it never happened.

Coop Raising

On Saturday I went to help @CrazyChookChookLady set up a new coop and run for Ned and his ladies. It was great to see him again and watch him manage his tribe. He really is an amazing lad.

Here is their new coop and run.
View attachment 3164984

They are planning to extend a second run out the back of the coop as well.

I wore the same hat that he had roosted on the day I left him with her but he clearly did not recognize me. He kept his ladies away from me and kept himself between me and them at all times. I'm glad he is such a good rooster but, as unrealistic as it was, I was a little sad he did not remember me.

Here he is leading his ladies through the trees and some close ups.

View attachment 3164986View attachment 3164987View attachment 3164988View attachment 3164989View attachment 3164990View attachment 3164991View attachment 3164992View attachment 3164993View attachment 3164994View attachment 3164995View attachment 3164996View attachment 3164997

The smaller roster next to him in photo #3 and alone with the ladies in photo #4 is his son Cappy. You can see how much smaller than Ned he is. Ned is a very large fellow much like his Dad, Stanley.

@Shadrach I know you don't read this thread anymore but I thought you would like this update.
He is such a stunner, Bob. And it is wonderful that he is so protective of his ladies!!!

Their feathers are supposed to be pencilled: dark and light chevron. The breast feathers? Not a clue. There's a different pattern on them. Not the same as lacing as they aren't smooth, but ?
Well, to take line from @RoyalChick 'They are chicken feathers, I'm sure of it!"

Unmmmmmmmmm :lau , not fictional, imaginary. There's a difference: one you make up (fictional, false), the other you can explain and justify, but can show 'reality'(i.e. concreteness) in this dimension.
The answer to it is…. It’s both true and false, dead and alive.., until we observe it or attempt to measure it! Quantum mechanics (for dummies) :old

Great job!
Fluffy Butt Acres the Primer

I have finally done it. I created an article that is a basic guide to this thread. I plan on continuing to update it. If anyone has any idea on information which I could also include to help people jumping onto the thread be able to participate without having to read 9,000+ pages, please let me know.

Fluffy Butt Acres: A Primer
Excellent work on that one!

Back
Top Bottom