Uh oh! Xzit might have lost interest in the eggs she was setting. :idunno
Do not panic just yet. This is probably her last time off the eggs before they hatch. With everyone of my girls this is the time they take the longest break. They will dust bath furiously multiple times. Stuff themselves and preen for a bit. I have had them spend up to 3 hours off before returning. It is like they know they could be stuck there for 2 or 3 days while the chicks hatch. Now is your chance. Grab a flashlight and go check those eggs. Also hold them up to your ear, gently tap the egg. If they have internally pipped it is very possible to hear soft cheeping or scratching.

Do not panic just yet. This is probably her last time off the eggs before they hatch. With everyone of my girls this is the time they take the longest break. They will dust bath furiously multiple times. Stuff themselves and preen for a bit. I have had them spend up to 3 hours off before returning. It is like they know they could be stuck there for 2 or 3 days while the chicks hatch. Now is your chance. Grab a flashlight and go check those eggs. Also hold them up to your ear, gently tap the egg. If they have internally pipped it is very possible to hear soft cheeping or scratching.
I candled the three. Only one is occupied. The other two are duds. It’s up to Xzit now if she wants to set. She’s too hard for me to catch. So…. :fl

Gucci

The Gooch seems to be walking better this morning but there is still ahitxh in there. I did a little better this morning by just opening the door, throwing in some cracked corn, and sitting back in the chair. They had no desire to leave the coop.

Wow, from this angle, what a difference in Lady Featherington versus the other 2. The others are definitely sleeker/slighter She will have a more matronly shape. ❤️ 🥰 ❤️

Gucci is walking much better in this video. ?Maybe she tweaked the leg a bit? Or maybe the 'Bs' have it and is already helping her?

Wow, from this angle, what a difference in Lady Featherington versus the other 2. The others are definitely sleeker/slighter She will have a more matronly shape. ❤️ 🥰 ❤️

Gucci is walking much better in this video. ?Maybe she tweaked the leg a bit? Or maybe the 'Bs' have it and is already helping her?
Matronly! :lau :gig:lau

I candled the three. Only one is occupied. The other two are duds. It’s up to Xzit now if she wants to set. She’s too hard for me to catch. So…. :fl
Ok do not panic now. If you have not already go ahead and toss the duds. If there is only one to hatch she will still want to sit tight to try and hatch the duds after the sole chick hatches. You can bet she knows there is a viable chick in her clutch. Do not ask me how, but those hens know. She will come back to it. Very soon, if not already and you have not caught it she will start softly clucking to that egg. The chick can hear her, and she can hear the chick. Her clucking will encourage it to hatch. It may start hatching tonight, or it may be another day or two before you see action. With my flock it does not matter if I use the incubator or a broody I tend to have chicks start hatching towards the end of day 19 beginning of day 20. But that is just mine, I have heard of others not having anything happen until day 21. Once she returns to her egg have food and water handy but mess with her as little as possible. It is a little sad she will only have 1 potential baby but a sole chick is not terrible news if it is being broody raised.

An Observation and an Opinion

Observation
Lady Featherington looks for a place to roost at night before cuddling. The big roost is too high and no one else is interested in doing so. Last night she tried to roost on their water dish and tonight she tried to roost on a camera.

I'm going to build them a roost and put it in the coop for them. They are not using the coop at all right now. I find that very strange. I've never had pullets not use the coop before.

Opinion
I hate the quarantine. I truly hate it. It is a huge pain in the butt going in and out of it and I cannot interact with them at all. I only saw them today to change out their water. I also feel like it delayed me picking up on things and treating Gucci.

I hate it.

I will give it 3 weeks and they are moving to the Cluckle Hut and big run.

3 weeks.

Because I hate it.
Yes, quarantine is a pain, but necessary. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom