We had an exchange teacher staying with us one year when I was a kid. My dad gothim into hunter's safety, then took him hunting. He had good aim, but when they got to something he could shoot at (deer), wassoexcited he missed everything. On the way back to the truck, he said his hand hurt. He had been so excited that he put the hand bracing the rifle down in the cactus patch Dad warned him about and didn't feel it until the adrenaline started wearing off.
Owww!

I learnt that duct tape pulls the spines out of your skin !

Hahaha

There is nothing healthy about swearing up a storm trying to weed around cactus!

Tax...

16566126276736164834568374051834.jpg

I only ask because I made the mistake of planting it in the garden one year. Thinking it would take forever to grow....

Seems Opuntia (prickly pear cactus) loves hot humid rainy summers!!!

It has taken over my one raised garden and I don't know a good way to weed it clean. It has crowded out everything but the grass, succulents like hens n chicks, and yucca, are gone....

I need a way to get the grass cleared out and weed it, it's starting to invade my lawn too hahahaha! Who knew cactus great so well in Ontario!

View attachment 3169320View attachment 3169321
Goodness. I thought they only thrived in zone 8 and up. You have real winters. Do they over winter OK?

Goodness. I thought they only thrived in zone 8 and up. You have real winters. Do they over winter OK?
Yes the variety I have is native to here. It's actually an endangered species due to farmers and people getting rid of it for obvious reasons - hard to manage and goes wild!

In the winter it shriveled up and looks dead but as soon as it warms up they plump up and start growing new pods like crazy!!! Hence the over taking of my garden haha.

Back
Top Bottom