I just posted another video of her honking - which might be a cough.
The little dear flew up into my arms just now - in all my worry I forgot to post that I seem to have a lap chicken!) and she opened wide right in my face but I couldn't see anything!
It is cooler now and she is chowing down on some mash so she is definitely eating.
Maybe I should bring her in to my newly functioning A/C and see if she still does that - particularly as she seems to like me, it might be a bonding experience!
The forecast for tonight and all tomorrow morning is actually quite cool so if she is doing it tomorrow morning it definitely isn't heat.
These little feathered friends are such a worry somehow!
I hear ya, nothing but worry worry worry!

Then they go do something cute or hilarious and it's all worth it 💖

Hoping all is good.

I am a little worried about Bella.
I have posted on the emergencies forum.
If any of you have any experience with this I would appreciate your thoughts.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-this-possibly-gapeworm.1536451/
I don't have experience with gape worm, but one of my hens a few years ago had a respiratory infection. Are you able to hold the Hooligans now without them freaking out? If so, pick Bella up and hold her chest (upper part of chest, as it joins neck...just above the crop) to your ear. You should be able to hear her breath. If it is congested sounding versus gurgly/rattly sounding can help with diagnosis.

I'm hoping it is just the heat and she wasn't quite at full-on panting.:fl:fl

I just posted another video of her honking - which might be a cough.
The little dear flew up into my arms just now - in all my worry I forgot to post that I seem to have a lap chicken!) and she opened wide right in my face but I couldn't see anything!
It is cooler now and she is chowing down on some mash so she is definitely eating.
Maybe I should bring her in to my newly functioning A/C and see if she still does that - particularly as she seems to like me, it might be a bonding experience!
The forecast for tonight and all tomorrow morning is actually quite cool so if she is doing it tomorrow morning it definitely isn't heat.
These little feathered friends are such a worry somehow!
Have you viewed this video RC?

ETA I've just been scanning the comments and it's surprising how many people are asking the vet to consult with no thought of compensating her for her time and expertise.

Last edited:
Which one looks to have a slightly larger frame, fluffier feathers, and more uniformed barring? (I do realize the angle isn't the best for comparing)
View attachment 3172703

While it may not be obvious on size, the one on the right definitely has a larger, more robust frame, and has looser, fluffier feathering, and more consistent barring. The production breeds, in my experience, have feathering half-way between the heritage one pictured, and my Dark Cornish (who are considered hard or close feathered feathered.) It is hard for me to technically explain the difference, but the looser feathering is 'fluffier' and 'fuller'
So the one on the right is the true barred rock them, right?

I don't have experience with gape worm, but one of my hens a few years ago had a respiratory infection. Are you able to hold the Hooligans now without them freaking out? If so, pick Bella up and hold her chest (upper part of chest, as it joins neck...just above the crop) to your ear. You should be able to hear her breath. If it is congested sounding versus gurgly/rattly sounding can help with diagnosis.

I hope so too!

I noticed Dorothy panting gasping out there just now but she is also holding he wings out from her body. She doesn't tolerate the warm weather very well.

Hopefully Bella is like Dorothy; it's cool out there and no one else is hot but Dorothy is definitely hot...

I couldn't hear anything - I will try again later or tomorrow. The trouble is both infection and gapeworm can cause sound. There is no discharge that I can see from her nose.

Back
Top Bottom