Allman Bros tax:

An excursion across the driveway lot over to the barn and woodpile, a favorite spot to go when out with me, it's a protected alley between the house and garage (handy safety shelter in the garage too). It's shady most of the day and offers good digging and greenery. Here's Hazels fluffy butt:
View attachment 3214434

Butters examining
View attachment 3214435
Moving, I love their feet!
View attachment 3214449
Hello Butters!
View attachment 3214451

Popcorn also foraging. Along with Hazel, she has a slow molt going onView attachment 3214463

Butters drinking, that's fresh rainwater in an old frying pan
View attachment 3214464

Back near the run because they heard something I didn't hear that made them all want to go back. Here's Popcorn with periscope up, now a different sound, a Robin alarm calling and everyone is still and listening. Popcorn is furthest away from the run though (as usual, she's a straggler but also is boldest)
View attachment 3214469

They decided it was best to get back in the run and make for under the lilac bush. I have the aviary netting from the run stretched over part of it and anchored to the ground in the back. The saplings growing under it bend over but hold it up and it makes a cool shady hidden spot they like to take their midday rest in, and they dig and dustbath in there.
View attachment 3214471

Here's a late-morning view of the current arrangement of their runs & coop. Part of the lilac bush is in view on the right, next to the white waterer there. They might be all under there now, 11:30 is their usual dustbath time, though the ground is damp from rain. This configuration has been good with the sun high in the sky and the heat, there's sun that moves through the greenhouse frames end (left side) but really good shade elsewhere all day. The coop, though double-walled, never bakes in the sun, cool air circulates around it and it has stayed reasonably cool.
View attachment 3214506
Chicken paradise!

I am out of ideas. I am doing what I can for salpingitis or stuck egg even though I am not convinced it is either.
I have ordered a different coccidiosis medicine but I don’t know if she will survive until then.
So mainly just trying to keep her comfy in the coop. It is a tad cooler today.
Do think a Vet visit? Can you get another fecal test done?

Do think a Vet visit? Can you get another fecal test done?
Remember she was only just recently treated for what shows up on a fecal test. So we would have to believe I am dealing with resistant strains.
Possible but a bit unlikely as that was the first time I had ever treated for either worms or coccidiae.
I will think about vet on Monday. But the only thing she would add is more experience in feeling for a stuck egg. I am 100% sure there isn’t one close to the vent, so if there is one stuck further up there isn’t anything we can do about that anyway.
I would take her to the vet in a heartbeat if I thought there was anything she could do.

Thank you for your contribution Ladies

Today I was presented with 7 lovely eggs (mum took the first one already - one of the Silkies)

All 4 silkies are back laying, Buttercup, and Rose. And a special treat old Penelope gave me an egg today.

E4E2C77D-2773-48D2-A180-07ABCF97787D.jpeg

Remember she was only just recently treated for what shows up on a fecal test. So we would have to believe I am dealing with resistant strains.
Possible but a bit unlikely as that was the first time I had ever treated for either worms or coccidiae.
I will think about vet on Monday. But the only thing she would add is more experience in feeling for a stuck egg. I am 100% sure there isn’t one close to the vent, so if there is one stuck further up there isn’t anything we can do about that anyway.
I would take her to the vet in a heartbeat if I thought there was anything she could do.
I hear ya, such a difficult thing when they are not well😥.

What antibiotics are you using? For coccidiosis a sulpha drug should be used.

I am out of ideas. I am doing what I can for salpingitis or stuck egg even though I am not convinced it is either.
I have ordered a different coccidiosis medicine but I don’t know if she will survive until then.
So mainly just trying to keep her comfy in the coop. It is a tad cooler today.
:hugs :hugs 🙏🙏:hugs:hugs

Thank you for your contribution Ladies

Today I was presented with 7 lovely eggs (mum took the first one already - one of the Silkies)

All 4 silkies are back laying, Buttercup, and Rose. And a special treat old Penelope gave me an egg today.

View attachment 3214583
Lovely egg colors. Ok, I'm putting in a formal complaint. Why are your silkies laying tan or pinkish eggs? Chiquita lays a bright white egg. It is not fair as white is my least favorite egg color. Oh well, I finally got my broody silkie and I'm loving every minute of dealing with "Angry Puff" and her 2 little puffs.

I really like the name Cricket! What in the world is wrong with that that she needs to change it? And Karen ( the pullet) is beautiful...if her demeanor or colouring says 'Karen' to you, then Karen it is!

And Twig/Twiggy. Since s/he is the offs[ring of Branch, you can't get a more fitting name!!! Question, though - what will you name the next one? Bud?
Nothing is wrong with the name Cricket, but mom and dad both feel that since as she has gotten older, and more spots keep coming Spot should be her name. The Karen issue, I jokingly named her that after those "Karen meme's" because one of the first pictures I took of her she had a angry expression. I still see that sometimes even though the taming is going well. Mom is not a fan of those meme's and thinks I'm wasting a perfectly good opportunity to use Coco or some other chocolate name. I will not budge on the Twiggy name. It is Branch's baby therefore it must be Twig. Granted mom never liked the name Branch either but he was named from "Trolls". His and Chiquita's pure silkie chick has already been named "Hoppy". In honor of the late "Poppy". Me and Rosie were wanting a Branch x Poppy chick to call it Hoppy. Chiquita's other chick is still yet unnamed. Nothing has come to me yet.

A huge part of our naming conflict is me and Rosie name the chicks when they are little. Mom ignores the chicks until they are for sure pullets then she wants to start throwing out names. She thinks why waste perfectly good names when all I hatch out are boys.

Back
Top Bottom