Leghorns are fast. Hen-Rietta has gained some energy back now. She’s circled the yard twice. Much faster than me today!
Little speedsters! Zoom! Zoom!

Like this little Italian number.

12258.jpeg

All you hawk experts I am trying to identify the hawk that has taken up residence. No good photos yet but it swooped quite low over me just now so I got a good but fleeting glimpse.
It is white underneath but I didn’t see any red on its tail or belly.
Do red tailed hawks ever not have red tails?
Juveniles might not. Were the end of its wings rounded?

Juveniles might not. Were the end of its wings rounded?
Hmmm. I am not sure exactly what that means. I would say they were more square - sort of 'blocky' wings. But again I didn't know I was looking for that so may have missed it.
I will try better tomorrow. It has been around for days so I am sure I will be able to have another look in the next couple of days.

@BY Bob

I started trimming the wee man’s punk rock hair-do!!! I see why your having a long time to trim Guccis - wow that’s a lot of feathers! And there is a weird comb buried in all those feathers 🥺🥺🥺 and I was freaked out trimming them because they are coarse and hard like straw, not at all like the silkies poofy feathers! How do i know there aren’t sensitive feathers growing in that I might accidentally cut?! And what’s with that weird comb?! I almost snipped it 😥

At least he is quiet once I catch him. He just sort of flops over all quiet like when I pick him up! I was able to trim above his eyes - below them he is bald 😳 thank goodness!!

A totally different feathered beast to be sure!!!

@BY Bob

I started trimming the wee man’s punk rock hair-do!!! I see why your having a long time to trim Guccis - wow that’s a lot of feathers! And there is a weird comb buried in all those feathers 🥺🥺🥺 and I was freaked out trimming them because they are coarse and hard like straw, not at all like the silkies poofy feathers! How do i know there aren’t sensitive feathers growing in that I might accidentally cut?! And what’s with that weird comb?! I almost snipped it 😥

At least he is quiet once I catch him. He just sort of flops over all quiet like when I pick him up! I was able to trim above his eyes - below them he is bald 😳 thank goodness!!

A totally different feathered beast to be sure!!!
Maybe you should try the tie/clip them back approach to see if it works?

Hmmm. I am not sure exactly what that means. I would say they were more square - sort of 'blocky' wings. But again I didn't know I was looking for that so may have missed it.
I will try better tomorrow. It has been around for days so I am sure I will be able to have another look in the next couple of days.
If they were my chickens, I would be looking at the predators through a rifle scope (just saying) :old:eek:

Back
Top Bottom