So, Barred Rocks are supposed to be broody (based on the standard and @Ribh ) I've had adult BR hens for more than 6 years now and never had one go broody - until now. I have 3 that are broody, and another DC has a hidden nest and is sitting (I finally found it!)

Interestingly enough, all 3 broody BRs are my heritage girls (2 are 1 yr. old, 1 is 2 years old - the 2 yr. old is one of a couple in my first 'batch!) So, evidently, 'production BRs' and 'heritage BRs' are also not alike [in general - Sydney excluded!!] in broodiness.

I wish I could get her/them to move. 2 went broody in my 'green coop' the first I made, and the next boxes aren't deep enough, and they are breaking the eggs. I tried to move one of them to a more suitable nest box, and she wasn't having it. She screamed all day yesterday and refused to sit on the new nest (which, by the way, had HER eggs in it!)

Anyone have good suggestions other than 'move them at night' to get them to consider relocating their broody nest?? I would love to have a couple more girls hatch and raise some babies.

So, Barred Rocks are supposed to be broody (based on the standard and @Ribh ) I've had adult BR hens for more than 6 years now and never had one go broody - until now. I have 3 that are broody, and another DC has a hidden nest and is sitting (I finally found it!)

Interestingly enough, all 3 broody BRs are my heritage girls (2 are 1 yr. old, 1 is 2 years old - the 2 yr. old is one of a couple in my first 'batch!) So, evidently, 'production BRs' and 'heritage BRs' are also not alike [in general - Sydney excluded!!] in broodiness.

I wish I could get her/them to move. 2 went broody in my 'green coop' the first I made, and the next boxes aren't deep enough, and they are breaking the eggs. I tried to move one of them to a more suitable nest box, and she wasn't having it. She screamed all day yesterday and refused to sit on the new nest (which, by the way, had HER eggs in it!)

Anyone have good suggestions other than 'move them at night' to get them to consider relocating their broody nest?? I would love to have a couple more girls hatch and raise some babies.
I tried moving Sydney and she would have none of it. I wish I had an idea on how to get them to choose your site.

Is there any way to improve the nest while they are off it. Maybe make a deeper box and slide it into the current nest box while they are off?

Get a piece of strapping (1” wide wooden strips) and put a piece along the entrance so the eggs won’t roll out, or tip the box towards the rear so the eggs roll backwards.,. That’s all I have sorry….

I am introducing Mr Pompeii to the world of music, so far all he does is squeal and growl at me😆

I then tried Lets Twist Again ( thanks Alex still have that song in my head) - chubby checkers and I were twisting up a storm in the barn here hahahaha. Fluffy was into it but Mr Pompei thought I had lost my marbles!😳😁

I tried moving Sydney and she would have none of it. I wish I had an idea on how to get them to choose your site.

Is there any way to improve the nest while they are off it. Maybe make a deeper box and slide it into the current nest box while they are off?
Unfortunately, that then makes the entrance space too small/difficult to get into/out of :(

🤔 Maybe if I put just a small strip of wood...like a lath sized piece? Not sure if it will be enough...but at this point, anything is worth a try! 🤷‍♀️ Thank you!

Unfortunately, that then makes the entrance space too small/difficult to get into/out of :(

🤔 Maybe if I put just a small strip of wood...like a lath sized piece? Not sure if it will be enough...but at this point, anything is worth a try! 🤷‍♀️ Thank you!
Can you send a picture?

Maggie stopped by for a chat. She had a lot to say about Lulu’s nest box choosing shenanigans and about Bernadette trying to take her spot on the roost.
I think she also apologized to me for giving me such a hard time when I give her antibiotics. She definitely did not commit to making it any easier for the remaining doses.
I like that she comes to chat. I am just sitting here reading. No treats. So unless she comes for the literature, she must just like to chat.
I love that about her. ❤️❤️
E3102517-084C-4B59-9A4D-9C6D96136E33.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom