Twofer Tuesday

Not the best photo but a funny situation : Théo trying his best to convince Chipie to lay in the worse possible place - behind a transparent lid. She was not impressed 😁.
IMG_20220816_104747.jpg

Twofer Tuesday
A couple of old ladies with their butts to the sun.
Diana and Maggie.
How dare you call these old butts 🤣?

I lost Rusty, Mama (Storm's mama), and 6 pullets when Storm was 3 weeks old. Cheetah and the other 7 pullets (now hens), were 12 weeks old. Came home to bodies all over and no other traces of the dog. We figured out which dog, and it's no longer in the area, but no compensation as we hadn't seen it happen. I'd rather lose birds to foxes and coyotes. At least they're trying to eat.

You're right on the dog killing again. Once the taste is there.....it's almost impossible to change that. I say almost because exceptions can happen. That's not a chance you should have to deal with.
I remember that tragedy! :hugs

Public Service Announcement
Everyone be very careful using vet wrap - that stuff really constricts.
I just sliced my finger open and grabbed some vet wrap (because of course my chicken first aid box is way better stocked than my own) and bound up my finger.
I wanted it tight to stem the rather impressive flow of blood and to stay on as I did chores.
Well a little later my finger is in pain and ice-cold. I managed to completely cut off the circulation - at least it stopped the bleeding!
No worries all is well - but it is a miracle that in bandaging Bernadette that I didn't cut off her blood supply.
So, when you use it on your animals do check frequently that you havent cut off circulation. I had no idea it is as constrictive as it apparently is.

My poor Light laid THREE eggs this morning... all together
She laid last on 8/13 morning. She did not lay on 8/14 or 8/15. I just didn't realize that her body is still producing eggs at a 1 egg per 24 hour rate even when she was not eating much 😠 . I am so disgusted by this, and I was so ignorant on getting high production hens.

This is her three egg. It looks like only two, because the middle egg is crushed in between with only shell left. I am really glad that the shell is out. But that must mean some yolk got left inside???
IMG_20220816_083113.jpg

Any idea on what to do? Flush vent? Any suggestion is appreciated. I also have a separate thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-laid-3-eggs-this-morning.1543878/

Would you guys please share your ideas on a liner for under the the straw in the coop please. I've taken out the old one but have to get it re- lined for winter. Cardboard is good but I'd prefer something that isn't going to rot.

I found what I believe would be perfect but not sold in UK :( " Duncan poultry excelsior pads".

I am not sure what a coop liner is, but on the coop building forum here you see people who put down offcuts of vinyl flooring and others who use a very thick coat of a rubberized paint usually used to seal a roof. The brand here is Black Jack 57. Apparently lasts for forever and is completely waterproof.
I imagine the coop needs to be kept empty for a few days while it dries.
This is what I’ve heard too. I think it would be difficult to get a “natural” solution, unless you could find oilcloth that’s been treated with a non-petroleum oil, or a real rubber mat. But old linoleum that’s pretty much done with off-gassing could work.

Public Service Announcement
Everyone be very careful using vet wrap - that stuff really constricts.
I just sliced my finger open and grabbed some vet wrap (because of course my chicken first aid box is way better stocked than my own) and bound up my finger.
I wanted it tight to stem the rather impressive flow of blood and to stay on as I did chores.
Well a little later my finger is in pain and ice-cold. I managed to completely cut off the circulation - at least it stopped the bleeding!
No worries all is well - but it is a miracle that in bandaging Bernadette that I didn't cut off her blood supply.
So, when you use it on your animals do check frequently that you havent cut off circulation. I had no idea it is as constrictive as it apparently is.
Yes, good warning! Makes a good tourniquet, eh? Good for that while your body clotted the wound.

My poor Light laid THREE eggs this morning... all together
She laid last on 8/13 morning. She did not lay on 8/14 or 8/15. I just didn't realize that her body is still producing eggs at a 1 egg per 24 hour rate even when she was not eating much 😠 . I am so disgusted by this, and I was so ignorant on getting high production hens.

This is her three egg. It looks like only two, because the middle egg is crushed in between with only shell left. I am really glad that the shell is out. But that must mean some yolk got left inside???
View attachment 3224829

Any idea on what to do? Flush vent? Any suggestion is appreciated. I also have a separate thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-laid-3-eggs-this-morning.1543878/
Oh my goodness!
Is Light looking perkier now she has got all those out? I would think so!
I will be interested to see what the folk on the emergencies thread think but I wouldn't flush anything for risk of introducing infection.
If the third egg came after the soft shell one then I would guess she is in the clear.
I would probably give her some calcium boost for a few days - I use calcium citrate pills and just pop them in their mouths but there are other choices.
By the way, just because you haven't seen the yolk it doesn't mean it is inside. Diana sometimes eats the yolk of her no-shell eggs, and sometimes it runs through the shavings and I only realize it was there when I go clean out and there is icky dried egg at the bottom.
I do hope she is feeling better!

Back
Top Bottom