You should read up a bit and look at some pictures until you feel confident - when I get a minute later I will post some for you - but there are lots on this site.
Basically the airway is in the middle at the back of the tongue and the oesophagus is behind and goes on both sides and is more oriented to the chicken's right.
So, if you put something to the side on the chicken's right it will go down into the crop.
Once you have popped the thing in let the chicken move its head freely and it will 'adjust' things.
@micstrachan is really the expert here so she can probably describe it better. I like to think of it as putting it inside the chicken's cheek - which is nonsense because they don't really have cheeks but that is what it feels like to me!
The key is to keep it to the side and then let her handle it from there!

Edited to add: Of course the real key is having a treat immediately handy to say thank you for being a good girl!
Honestly, when I give pills to chickens I just get it in their beak and they swallow. I don’t even try to go to the side as I don’t put it very far back. The tube feeding… Absolutely, yes I go to the side.

However, you described it quite well. :)

I guess it's been a while since I posted a picture of the whole crowd. They're definitely getting bigger. The two Reds (Rust, Copper) are still quite a bit smaller than Storm and Ash. When they climb on me they feel like they're only half the weight of the other two.
View attachment 3225763
How wonderful that they are climbing in you!

Lulu’s First Egg!
Today Lulu laid her first egg. It is pale blue and totally perfect.
It is also very tiny! It weighs 28.7g (about an ounce). The last egg laid in the Chicken Palace (Dotty) was just over double the size.
The whole event was quite sweet. She took the best part of two hours selecting which nest box to use. She went in and out of the upper and lower levels with Bernadette in tow.
When she eventually settled on the best spot Bernadette stood outside shouting the whole time!
I am a little sad she isn’t my baby any more, but still very proud of her tiny egg. Maybe I will have a miniature egg sandwich for lunch today.
Congratulations Lulu.
View attachment 3222731
Congratulations, Lulu! What a beautiful egg!

Check out the food boob on this madam! I will be checking that crop in the morning! :eek:

B446242D-3EB2-4CF7-9873-0C6CD18F7B9B.jpeg

I guess it's been a while since I posted a picture of the whole crowd. They're definitely getting bigger. The two Reds (Rust, Copper) are still quite a bit smaller than Storm and Ash. When they climb on me they feel like they're only half the weight of the other two.
View attachment 3225763
Wow they look perfect to me ❤️❤️

I am sooooo glad you got them 😊

Totally not chicken-related, but today we toured the Allerton Botanical Garden! These Moreton Bay Fig Trees were featured in the film Jurassic Park. I thought you all would appreciate the beauty:

View attachment 3225768
View attachment 3225770
While we took photos we came across a t-Rex named Fred:
View attachment 3225771

Chicken Tax:
View attachment 3225792
(Me & Kiko)
That is a perfect picture of you and Kiko ❤️

Love those huge trees the roots are amazing! And of course Fred is wonderful too😊

Back
Top Bottom