She was out this morning as well. Most of the day she lays in the run with the food and water. But at least she is moving some now and can go to bed successfully. I have been very concerned that she was showing little improvement.

The good thing is if she can get herself in the coop at night, that is enough that i don't have to worry all the time that something will happen to her. Plus she is staying under cover which is real good right now.
Are you doing some forced activity with her making her walk?

but I heard that 'possum tastes like chicken.. :idunno So who knows :idunno
?Maybe @RoyalChick can tell us what raccoon tastes like?:lau

🦝Technically they won't be a free loader, then, if they provide her dinner (meat)🦝
I heard that if you can sneak up on a raccoon and kill it (then it gets what it deserves) :gig
And Marie, 🛩️ won’t be ready today:(

Two for Tuesday pictures. In all these pictures the subjects are chowing down on a box of grape nuts cereal that was given to me. I used to call that horse feed.....now it is chicken feed.
2 fat orp sisters.
DSCN8643.JPG
DSCN8644.JPG
DSCN8645.JPG

2 little chickadee's.
DSCN8648.JPG
DSCN8650.JPG

2 new BFFs, I really do not want to know what Raven was telling Wasabi. I know she is putting her up to no good.
DSCN8649.JPG

I really don't know what to think or do.
I took Lulu to a vet from the list that @Ribh posted - a real avian vet.
He won't see people (!) so you have to drop your animal off and he calls.
She is behaving normally in the vet's office, she does not have an egg that he can feel or see in her abdomen (which I thought myself but good to be confirmed), her Xray is normal. Her poop showed she has cecal worms but that is unlikely to be making her feel miserable.
He is drawing blood and then I can go bring her home. None the wiser but with a much lighter pocket!
His advice is isolation which of course I don't love the idea of, and on balance I think is a bad idea. He also surprised me by recommending regular worming whether they have worms on fecal test or not. I am not sure about that either.
So, Lulu will be back home soon and I just have to hope she gets better on her own. He did see oyster shell in her guts so I am glad she is eating it!

I don't know what I was hoping for - a well chicken I guess!

So I don't go into a tail spin I am going to list all the good things that happened over the last 24 hours:
- We got nearly 3" of rain - you can hear the plants sighing with relief
- The other guy's insurance company accepted liability for my pranged up car
- Maggie let Bernadette groom her face
- The raccoon that ripped open the Chewy box that I forgot was on the doorstep only ate about a quarter of the bag of chicken food that was inside
I'm so sorry, RC. That just highlights how lucky MJ is with her vet. I was hoping the link would be useful & produce better results than that. :hugs

I'm so sorry, RC. That just highlights how lucky MJ is with her vet. I was hoping the link would be useful & produce better results than that. :hugs
Well I think your post was actually very useful. He really is an avian vet. The practice sees chickens most days. We can’t blame him if Lulu is undiagnosable!
I didn’t love his attitude to isolation or worming even if there is no issue - but I can ignore both of those recommendations!
The list identified one other avian vet within a reasonable distance so I might try that one next time.
The vet I have been going to is more attune with my way of thinking (don’t treat unless there is something wrong, consider mental health too) but I feel like she is learning alongside me.
MJ’s vet seems to both have knowledge and empathy and be aligned with her thinking. That may be too much to ask.
Meanwhile Lulu seems to be doing OK this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom