I wasn't suggesting it was a production problem. And of course I don't know what it's like in the States, but here there is a pretty small gene pool for fancy breeds & that can lead to problems ~ all I'm saying. 'Cause I've lost so many birds who shouldn't have died. Look @ the Vorwerks. Of the 8 I've acquired over the last 18 months or so I am down to just two. My only explanation is poor genetics because as a relatively new fancy breed here the gene pool is incredibly small no matter who you buy from. I just don't want you blaming yourself for what I honestly don't believe is your fault. Your keeping arrangement is spectacular. Your birds are incredibly well looked after & loved. You're one of the best keepers I've seen on BYC. Any bird who gets a home with you is incredibly lucky.
Yes, I can see your point.
I just dunno what to think right now - I just feel devastated and the prospect of losing the remaining three just fills me with dread.

And then there were three. She is gone.

I will probably call the state lab in the morning but will sleep on it.

Hug your chickens everyone, they are precious little souls and some of them are only with us for a short while.
View attachment 3240718
I'm so very very sorry. :hugs :hugs :hugs

Symptoms weren't all the same, were they?
No. Well yes and no.
- Bella clearly had respiratory issues and had a positive test for Infectious laryngotracheitis
- Lulu and the Roadrunners were quite similar in that one minute they were fine and then in the course of a few hours were not fine.
The only localizing symptoms in that lot are Lulu's anema and liver function tests, and both Dotty and Minnie (as well as Maggie) had diarrhea for a long time.
Minnie tested negative for Bella's virus.

The feed of course unites them all.

Hug your chickens everyone, they are precious little souls and some of them are only with us for a short while.
View attachment 3240718
I am so, so sorry. :hugs All the hugs. :hugs

View attachment 3240718
Damn. Oh I’m so sorry RC. I’m very puzzled as to why your birds are dying off? I know that you love them. If it’s AI you need to find out. There’s nothing I can say to comfort you at the moment and I’m sorry 😞. :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

I am so sorry, @RoyalChick . I can't even begin to imagine how devastated you are! Lulu (and the others) were so entertaining and full of life/personality. I'm sure Bernadette will be grieving as much as you, having lost her 2 besties! Maybe this will be a chance for you to get closer to her. I wish I could give you a real hug, but a virtual one will have to do. :hugs :hugs 🫂 :hugs:hugs

And thanks for letting me know the state runs some labs, too. My knowledge was of Tufts (I grew up in Central Mass), which no longer does it, and they referred me to a University in Ct, by the shore, which is nearly 2 hrs, drive from me. You would have thought they would have referred me to the state lab! Though that is probably in Boston area - 2 + hours from me. I will check, regardless, though! Best of luck in whatever you decide tomorrow.🙏

Last edited:
No. Well yes and no.
- Bella clearly had respiratory issues and had a positive test for Infectious laryngotracheitis
- Lulu and the Roadrunners were quite similar in that one minute they were fine and then in the course of a few hours were not fine.
The only localizing symptoms in that lot are Lulu's anema and liver function tests, and both Dotty and Minnie (as well as Maggie) had diarrhea for a long time.
Minnie tested negative for Bella's virus.

The feed of course unites them all.
Because of you, I found my state lab, and guess what? They had a 'Food Environmental Submission Form'. It appears that they only test for bacteria (doesn't seem that they test for mold). However, maybe your state lab has a form for the testing of food, too. [and yes, it was under the animals tab, so it is for testing of animal feed.) Also. if you decide to send Lulu for necropsy, you might be able to coordinate with a crematorium, and have the lab send Lulu's remains there, and then you could bury her ashes? It could be expensive, but I had my wonderful cat Truffles cremated, and I am glad I did, not sure how you feel about that, but it might be a compromise between not sending her to be able to bury her remains, and sending her, but nothing to bury & morn.

Edited to add: Your Veterinarian should know of crematoriums that take animals.

View attachment 3240718
I am so very sorry for your loss. It is not at all any fault of yours. :hugs

Damn. Oh I’m so sorry RC. I’m very puzzled as to why your birds are dying off? I know that you love them. If it’s AI you need to find out. There’s nothing I can say to comfort you at the moment and I’m sorry 😞. :hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs
But I did as you asked. When I put the chooks to bed, I checked each crop, and said I love you, to each one. Thanks RC

View attachment 3240718
Oh RC :hugs :hugs this is too much to ask you to bear, I am so sorry. I wish I could make this better for you. 😢😢😢😢
:hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom