So exciting to see the roof coming together! Will you then tar paper it for the winter?
Tarpaper and then tarp… I think I’ve got the tarping strategy down too. Wrapping around a rainscreen strip two or three times and nailing/screwing that down seems to defeat the winds, if you can get it down tight enough. I have the tarps I bought for this (last year or maybe it was 2020?) in the bathroom. The sheathing is 5/8” plywood (recent hunter who is also a builder said “no usually it’s 1/2” OSB” then looked at my lift and said “yes, that’s 5/8”… that is VERY heavy stuff” lol… I know, I’ve moved it like three times already, and you try doing that in even a stiff breeze… I’m going to rip it in half to 2x8’ sheets. Then I think I can do it by myself. Ive been awful company the last month or more… my mantra is I’m old, I’m tired, I’m sore. My feet hurt, my back hurts, My arms want to drop off. Why am I doing this again? Then a goat will curl up in my lap and my chickens will follow me around the yard, and I remember why it’s worth it. And if I can overwinter somewhere with walls more than 1” thick… it will be a paradise. 😂 even without indoor plumbing!

Tarpaper and then tarp… I think I’ve got the tarping strategy down too. Wrapping around a rainscreen strip two or three times and nailing/screwing that down seems to defeat the winds, if you can get it down tight enough. I have the tarps I bought for this (last year or maybe it was 2020?) in the bathroom. The sheathing is 5/8” plywood (recent hunter who is also a builder said “no usually it’s 1/2” OSB” then looked at my lift and said “yes, that’s 5/8”… that is VERY heavy stuff” lol… I know, I’ve moved it like three times already, and you try doing that in even a stiff breeze… I’m going to rip it in half to 2x8’ sheets. Then I think I can do it by myself. Ive been awful company the last month or more… my mantra is I’m old, I’m tired, I’m sore. My feet hurt, my back hurts, My arms want to drop off. Why am I doing this again? Then a goat will curl up in my lap and my chickens will follow me around the yard, and I remember why it’s worth it. And if I can overwinter somewhere with walls more than 1” thick… it will be a paradise. 😂 even without indoor plumbing!
You just need a back rub and a good snuggle!

They ask me, why I don’t participate in Caturday? Well……, here :tongue
8753FDB1-2A82-4502-AF55-FF7FAF3C0DF6.jpeg

Hi, everyone. Can we talk about molt a little more? Seven of my eight hens are in some stage of molt. How about the rest of your birds?
Ummm 😮 :hugs😢 and yes… semi Nekkid porcu-chooks here. Lots of them! They are grumpy and I don’t blame them. I haven’t been focusing on pics much because at least 2/3 of my Birds are a Lot ugly right now. I tell them “just think how Pretty you’ll be when all these feathers grow In!” Trespassing hikers also get a “they are all fine, they are moulting, and that is why it looks like someone’s been murdered or blew up a feather pillow here” lecture. I’m feeding as much extra protein as I can, and I’m also upping the scratch because my girls tend towards leaner as well. Treat season here also includes bone saw dust weekly or bi-weekly. There’s a big bandsaw for splitting meat in the abattoir and I get the clean up and distribute it to the girls. Mixed meat, fat, and ground up bone. They go crazy for it.

I had to go to 2 different stores today to track down the feather fixer for my crew. Come home and fill up their feeders and they are staring at it like it is poison. Ungrateful brats I tell you.
I ALWAYS transition them slowly when changing their feed. With the exception of putting out starter (which the adults always scoff down), they have to adjust slowly to new feed - both to make sure the intestinal biome for different feed, and to get used to the new taste.

Back
Top Bottom