I'm glad you said that.....I wasn't sure if it was like baby teeth ( being pushed out by new, permanent teeth), or if old ones were shed and then new started to grow in empty place. I found this. Seems like a reputable site. ??

Happy Girl GIF by Ethan Barnowsky
I only 'read' the chart, will read the whole article later....need to unload feed & shavings before the rain! Ta-ta for now
Good Bye No GIF
That cat is hilarious. I will read later too.

Well here is Maggie today (first picture) to compare
F8B9CCF2-5D83-4D82-86B0-852E9E41DDD5.jpeg
17E833B0-9FF8-4176-964E-0779188D436D.jpeg
with almost exactly two years ago (Sept 29, 2020).
She was molting then too.
Another similarity with this year is that she had laid a lash egg not long before (Sept 18, 2020 and Aug 12, 2022).
She had big earlobes and wattles two years ago too. But I think they are longer today.
WDYT?

I found this in an article here on molting. No source given but it seems like an indepth article. It says:

Do new feathers push the old feathers out?

It is not that simple. The key to new feather formation is the removal of the old feather. The presence of a well-anchored feather prevents a new feather from forming. When that feather loosens or is plucked out, a new feather immediately begins to form. Prior to molting, the blood vessels supporting the old feather dry up, and feather attachment to the surrounding tissue becomes loosened and the feather falls out. At this point, a new feather will begin to grow.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/feather-molt-an-in-depth-look-at-molting.74666/

Well here is Maggie today (first picture) to compare View attachment 3271340View attachment 3271343with almost exactly two years ago (Sept 29, 2020).
Another similarity with this year is that she had laid a lash egg not long before (Sept 18, 2020 and Aug 12, 2022).
She had big earlobes and wattles two years ago too. But I think they are longer today.
WDYT?
Her ear lobes look much bigger to me. Thanks for the comparison photos 🙂!

Oh poor dear ☹️

I had Dorothy out in the barn for a bit but she is back in the warm feed room now. I have her some scratch grain and treats and she gobbles that down.

Will try some left overs I have in the fridge later on.
Tinned sardines or salmon is usually a hit here at that time of the year. Anything meaty and fatty.

Well here is Maggie today (first picture) to compare View attachment 3271340View attachment 3271343with almost exactly two years ago (Sept 29, 2020).
WDYT?
Yes I agree they do appear larger now

Such a beauty 💕❤️

I found this in an article here on molting. No source given but it seems like an indepth article. It says:

Do new feathers push the old feathers out?

It is not that simple. The key to new feather formation is the removal of the old feather. The presence of a well-anchored feather prevents a new feather from forming. When that feather loosens or is plucked out, a new feather immediately begins to form. Prior to molting, the blood vessels supporting the old feather dry up, and feather attachment to the surrounding tissue becomes loosened and the feather falls out. At this point, a new feather will begin to grow.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/feather-molt-an-in-depth-look-at-molting.74666/
I don’t feel so guilty about plucking Dorothy’s twisted primary feather on her wing this morning in that case.

Gorgeous pictures as always. And Merle ❤️ ❤️
What kind of fishmeal do you use? The same as is sold for gardens or something specific for food purposes? I am wondering about how to supplement with fish meal. Meanwhile, I am just using starter/grower chicken feed (the insect protein based one).
I am curious, too!

Back
Top Bottom