I can't poison them,as they could well die in the chicken run. They have tunneled under the decrepit barn. Chicken run uses 1 wall of barn as 1 wall of outdoor run. I was going to try @BY Bob 's method of dry Ice, but I don't think I can possibly cover all the access holes. Maybe I will just cover as much as possible, and the dry ice may kill off some & lessen the #? It is hard to explain, but it is a pole barn with board & batten on outside, but part was horse stalls for draft horses, and on the inside there are 2x8x 10s, and there is a gap between inside & outside the diameter of telephone poles (the 'poles' in the pole barn) that the rats can access, but I can't. :(

I did get the 'mother & father', but won't be long before the others are reproducing...and there are lots of them (?maybe more than one reproducing pair in a colony, so only got 1 set??)

dirty little buggars!!
meta GIF
rat GIF
Yes that is why I can’t put out poison. I’m the fed room yes but not out we’re the chickens are😟

Pesky critters!

Those images are horrifying!

While working on the run today we decided to let the tweens decide if they wanted to come out the pop door and supervise the work. Turns out they sure did want to. Unfazed by the hammering and the air tools they explored and munched bugs. The only thing that spooked them really was the air compressor coming on. They high tailed it back into the coop when that came on.

Biscotti and Cinnamon pointing out the clear OSHA missed bottlecap violation. They take their supervisory duties seriously!
View attachment 3271804
Pecans fluffy butt strut
View attachment 3271806
Pecan Flour and Ginger keeping eyes on our work.
View attachment 3271805
Good to see the Safety Inspection team a work 😊

One of the original gals, a mini RIR looks pitiful (molting) so we separated her from her flock. Gonna pump pump her up with vitamins and feather fixer.
I have fish oil capsules and am considering cutting some open and putting on her feed. I give these to my dogs for skin issues and they help a lot. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom