As most of you know I made the typical new chicken servant error of purchasing chicks before having the coop and run built. I also used the we will have plenty of time excuse to justify doing so.

So, we did indeed manage to get the coop built and secured in the nick of time (read that as a week later then intended) but we are still working on the run. Its mostly completed but we ran out of hardware cloth so its on a short temporary hold.

Today instead of working on the run I made gravity feeders and waters out of 5 gallon buckets with a kit I found on Amazon. Amazingly I participated in a DIY miracle as this actually went off with zero issues both feeders and waters were completed quickly and with no oh crap! now what?? moments. So now I have 2 waters 2 feeders of decent size for adult birds. My plan was to to have water and food available inside the coop and in the run.

I have read conflicting information on food in the coop. Some do so some say oh no don’t. Which camp are you guys in and why?

Yesterday was a photogenic day....
View attachment 3272124Jessica, 2 horny brats, and a horny protector

View attachment 3272125View attachment 3272126Love the "thumbnail imbed"
View attachment 3272127Whiskey is curious
View attachment 3272128So is Cuckoo (or hoping for more sardines)

View attachment 3272129Even her head is a pincushion

View attachment 3272130Grooming on the woodpile

View attachment 3272131Sentinel while resting (his tail is looking fantastic)

View attachment 3272132If his tail ever gets the long feathers....View attachment 3272133Short naps to let the feathers grow

View attachment 3272134He's getting a bit rumpled too (and is missing most of the side tail feathers)View attachment 3272135What are you doing?!View attachment 3272136Getting a drink after a private sardine feed. She's not quite as dont touch me.View attachment 3272137Hasn't started moulting yet, but perfect way to end the mugs...with a fluffy too
Awesome photos. What a treat!

Love the thumbnail embed too. You should submit for POW. What's the name of that rooster? (He is also the one that needs to grow a longer tail?) He is adorable looking.

As most of you know I made the typical new chicken servant error of purchasing chicks before having the coop and run built. I also used the we will have plenty of time excuse to justify doing so.

So, we did indeed manage to get the coop built and secured in the nick of time (read that as a week later then intended) but we are still working on the run. Its mostly completed but we ran out of hardware cloth so its on a short temporary hold.

Today instead of working on the run I made gravity feeders and waters out of 5 gallon buckets with a kit I found on Amazon. Amazingly I participated in a DIY miracle as this actually went off with zero issues both feeders and waters were completed quickly and with no oh crap! now what?? moments. So now I have 2 waters 2 feeders of decent size for adult birds. My plan was to to have water and food available inside the coop and in the run.

I have read conflicting information on food in the coop. Some do so some say oh no don’t. Which camp are you guys in and why?
I have food and water inside the coop. We free range, so have no run. We also can get sub zero (F) temps during the winter. The chickens don't usually want to leave the coop in those temps, and I don't blame them. I scatter scratch and have multiple water sources all over outside, but keep food and water inside for those extra cold moments, and to keep from feeding the magpies EVERYTHING. The scratch they can eat, but I draw the line at feeding them the pellets and the cat food.

I have food and water inside the coop. We free range, so have no run. We also can get sub zero (F) temps during the winter. The chickens don't usually want to leave the coop in those temps, and I don't blame them. I scatter scratch and have multiple water sources all over outside, but keep food and water inside for those extra cold moments, and to keep from feeding the magpies EVERYTHING. The scratch they can eat, but I draw the line at feeding them the pellets and the cat food.
Thank you for the weather perspective I did not consider that and makes an excellent case for keeping a feeder in the coop as well as outside in the run. Thank you very much.

Yes probably could do that. But I think on the coldest nights I would still want to introduce heat.
It is free of drafts so it is an absolute temperature issue rather than an issue of drafts if you see what I mean.
Yes, I do, but was thinking that it would help create a mini-climate by them, especially if you added heat - the two combined should make a significant difference. You could also let one edge drop, too. (so, hung above their heads, but maybe 1 ft. along the length hang down so it sort of creates a pocket (sheet becomes L shaped as hung)....but can still let heat rise along the other edge. Hope this makes sense what I'm trying to describe.

This way the heat would be more effective and not 100% just raise and exit. I don't think the micro climate will be hugely warmer, but I do think it would make a difference versus no sheet above. You won't (as my parents would say) "heat the outdoors' so much.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom