Dear Aurora;

As a Macho Macho Man, it has come to my attention that there seem to be Enablers out there trying to entice my harem into sneaking off somewhere and magically reappearing with a line of (what I am sure will be adorable) offspring.

What Macho Macho Man wouldn't want to flex his wings and crow about his offspring! After all I am a well balanced individual…

Now while I would enjoy being a father, these thing do need planning and preparation. What are your thoughts on this?

Affectionately yours,

Mr Perfect Balanced
View attachment 3338488
I like how the little man is demonstrating his perfect balance!

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

This is Bernadette. She has these strange feathers. They are like long, fine, silky hairs - like an extended fluff feather but with only the shaft and a few feathery bits at the end.
This is not new - I have noticed them for a while now but hadn't got a good photo to share until today.
She is acting normally - and as you can see it is not all her fluff feathers, but it is not just a couple either.
Any ideas?
Is it worth posting on the illnesses and injuries forum? At this stage it is more a curiosity than a concern - but it would be good to know if someone else has seen it before.
WDYT?

C46A2609-62FA-4BBD-92F2-093E7A4351DA.jpeg
789FD006-3EC5-41B2-B0E5-F9BEE328F94F.jpeg
F0FB526D-0F3A-49D6-AA4E-D21827068E04.jpeg

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

This is Bernadette. She has these strange feathers. They are like long, fine, silky hairs - like an extended fluff feather but with only the shaft and a few feathery bits at the end.
This is not new - I have noticed them for a while now but hadn't got a good photo to share until today.
She is acting normally - and as you can see it is not all her fluff feathers, but it is not just a couple either.
Any ideas?
Is it worth posting on the illnesses and injuries forum? At this stage it is more a curiosity than a concern - but it would be good to know if someone else has seen it before.
WDYT?

View attachment 3340696View attachment 3340697View attachment 3340698
Is she starting to extend her fluff more?

Is she starting to extend her fluff more?
Not dramatically. She has quite a fluffy butt now but these hairs have been there for ages and seem pretty stable.
I hadn’t noticed that they had little feathery ends before, but that may be more that I didn’t look close enough rather than it is a new thing.
What are you thinking? Maybe they are the advanced party on some extravagant fluff? That would be nice!

Last edited:
Not dramatically. She has quite a fluffy butt now but these hairs have been there for ages and see pretty stable.
I hadn’t noticed that they had little feathery ends before, but that may be more that I didn’t look close enough rather than it is a new thing.
What are you thinking? Maybe they are the advanced party on some extravagant fluff? That would be nice!
Not sure what I'm thinking. Puzzle pieces have to get put together to create the picture. Will ponder some more. Maybe more questions will come to mind or others will ask something that will spark more ideas. Currently.....she's a puzzle.

Edit: I'm going to have to do a fluff inspection here to see if any have similarities.

Thirsty Thursday wasn't a success here, but I managed to get some photos from the previous days.
Temperatures are slowly dropping back to normal seasonals ( meaning under 30f /0c) and I'm also getting a hot water bottle in bed ! Our bedroom isn't heated, and I've noticed I sleep so much better when it gets cold.

I was wondering for those of you that live in real cold climates : do you have special clothes to deal with it, or do you just stay inside most of the time ? Also, are houses very well isolated or do you spend crazy amounts heating ? Sorry, these are very naïve questions I realize 🤗. It made me laugh so much when I lived in the US as a teen and I was asked a few times if we had television 🤣.

Merle is now laying normally 💚. I'm very relieved!

Let's have a drink
View attachment 3338347
Léa and Merle
View attachment 3338351
Théo and Cannelle
View attachment 3338358
Merle and Piou-piou's eggs
View attachment 3338365
Depends on the “cold”. Dry cold is easier to cope with (even if I still believe it should be avoided at all costs) but what we get where I am now is a wet cold and very different. I’ve done -20C dry cold and was fine with a decent wool jacket, hat gloves scarf… anything colder and you start to run into bigger issues and usually need down or high quality synthetics. Cotton absorbs your moisture and can freeze you. We were also in a 1950’s park model trailer at the time, so the insulation was 💩, single pane louvered glass windows, missing some storm glass to seal them, even missing one of the panes! We had a woodstove and that was the biggest difference, but wood was cheap and easy to come by for the area. I did buy some good winter hiking boots, Sorells, that were good to -30 and waterproof, because I can’t stand cold feet! My mother and Uncle lived up around where Pony is working… I couldn’t.

Where I am now down in jackets is near useless, it’s either too warm or gets wet and loses all insulation value. Wool is really best, but we rarely see -5C or colder for extended periods. It’s just the Damp cold that will get into your bones, and make you ache. As to insulation, modern homes here use a lot, R28-30 usually minimum, and I’ve heard of up to R40. 6” exterior framing and batt insulation. Often they are also sealed up really tightly which can cause mold and rot issues in our wet climate. Spray foam is getting really popula. I may eventually add an additional 1-2” of rigid foam board to the interior as well, to prevent thermal bridging on some exterior walls with a lot of studpacks (groups of studs 4-6, used to support beams for the structure). Mostly right now in the RV it’s bundle up, keep the heat on, and always wear socks and slippers. My feet haven’t touched the floor in months, even in socks, and I just layer heavily.

Back
Top Bottom