My lab x malamute mix CeeCee, she is just weird. She is currently flat out in her favorite sleeping position trying to out snore my grandma. She is almost winning and that is very hard to do.
DSCN9486.JPG
DSCN9487.JPG

Ask Aurora

This week's question comes from Lorna.

Lorna IMG_2022-11-22-08-54-24-196_2.jpg

She asks:

Dear Aurora,

Why did Aunty Peggy try to bite me when I said hello? She was mean to me and it hurt my feelings.

Love from Lorna

Lorna Dear,
I can only surmise that you are a young pullet based upon your language and the phrase "Aunty Peggy". I thought this might be the same Peggy with whom I am friends on Beakbook. So I hit her up with a PM and sure enough, there is a Lorna that is a new pullet that has invaded Peggy’s space.

Now I know Peggy pretty well so I am going to give you some very important advice. Please whatever you do, listen to me. It will save you much pain.

Peggy is your better. Know you place little one.

Peggy eats first. She gets all the tastiest morsels. She gets the prime roosting spot. Frankly, she gets whatever she wants. If she wants that most excellent dust bathing hole which you have been working to make for days, she gets it. Peggy has earned this respect and you best give it.

This is “The Way of the Chicken”.

You are a chicken.

Follow the way.

This is also important, Stay out of her way.

She has every right to peck you just because you exist and your existence irritates her. Should she one night tear you off the roost and toss you out of the coop, you should thank her for doing so because you must have offended her and therefore should be taught a lesson.

This is ever “The Way of the Chicken”.

Now Peggy won’t always be around so if you are a smart little pullet, you should start plotting your takeover now. That way someday everyone will have to get out of your way and give you the best of everything. You should start with those other 2 pullets that came with you. You need to start out by forcing them to your will. Once you have them under your control then write me again and we can discuss how you push your way past the other older hens.

Helpful Hint: It is important to remember that whoever lays an egg first moves up in status. Be certain that you lay your first egg before the other two. Otherwise you will need to force you way past anyone who lays before you and many weeks’ worth of work will be lost.

Remember, it’s “The Way of the Chicken”. It is right and good that you should be pecked and learn your place. Be sure to thank Peggy every time she does it.

Resized_20220501080117.jpeg

By the way Lorna, did @MaryJanet name you after a cookie? How unfortunate. Although I do find them delicious.

Screenshot_20221206_081349.jpg

My pony Sunday pic
20221204_150214.jpg
Just a reminder......

This morning....
20221207_080301.jpg
South side...

20221207_080830.jpg
East side....
20221207_080849.jpg
20221207_080838.jpg
More east side.....

20221207_081053.jpg
North side....

Until I opened the door to go open the coop (while the west neighbor had her pups out, making the deer slightly nervous).

Not everyone came outside, but there was a general flood
20221207_081820.jpg
20221207_081730.jpg
20221207_081830.jpg
20221207_081922.jpg
Moulters appear to be done dropping feathers, just working on growing the rest back in. Primula and Maizie seem to be bearing the brunt of the Idiots' attentions....making their eggs prime candidates for broody come April.

I think I am just going to leave them to it and not watch. 4 of them could roost but only 3 were allowed tonight. Betty could also go roost in peace in the Cluckle Hut.
I will tell you what is happening with my roosters and maybe it will help you to keep your resolution.
I was getting so stressed by stopping Théo from jumping on Gaston's roost in the evenings that four days ago I completely moved Théo's roosts on the other side of the coop, closer to his hens, in a spot where he can't attack Gaston. The first two evenings were horrible, he kept looking for his old roost and running around stressed out. But the two evenings after were wonderfully quiet.
But today, Théo did something he has never done before. He has always used to chase Gaston out of the chicken netted yard, but he left him alone once he was over on the other side of the netting. Today he chased him outside and in the garden at least five times.

I can't help wonder if this isn't a consequence of interfering by removing his roost, and if I haven't made the situation worse.
Has Aurora actually ever wounded any of your hens or is it just bullying ?
Ask Aurora

This week's question comes from Lorna.

View attachment 3343103

She asks:

Dear Aurora,

Why did Aunty Peggy try to bite me when I said hello? She was mean to me and it hurt my feelings.

Love from Lorna

Lorna Dear,
I can only surmise that you are a young pullet based upon your language and the phrase "Aunty Peggy". I thought this might be the same Peggy with whom I am friends on Beakbook. So I hit her up with a PM and sure enough, there is a Lorna that is a new pullet that has invaded Peggy’s space.

Now I know Peggy pretty well so I am going to give you some very important advice. Please whatever you do, listen to me. It will save you much pain.

Peggy is your better. Know you place little one.

Peggy eats first. She gets all the tastiest morsels. She gets the prime roosting spot. Frankly, she gets whatever she wants. If she wants that most excellent dust bathing hole which you have been working to make for days, she gets it. Peggy has earned this respect and you best give it.

This is “The Way of the Chicken”.

You are a chicken.

Follow the way.

This is also important, Stay out of her way.

She has every right to peck you just because you exist and your existence irritates her. Should she one night tear you off the roost and toss you out of the coop, you should thank her for doing so because you must have offended her and therefore should be taught a lesson.

This is ever “The Way of the Chicken”.

Now Peggy won’t always be around so if you are a smart little pullet, you should start plotting your takeover now. That way someday everyone will have to get out of your way and give you the best of everything. You should start with those other 2 pullets that came with you. You need to start out by forcing them to your will. Once you have them under your control then write me again and we can discuss how you push your way past the other older hens.

Helpful Hint: It is important to remember that whoever lays an egg first moves up in status. Be certain that you lay your first egg before the other two. Otherwise you will need to force you way past anyone who lays before you and many weeks’ worth of work will be lost.

Remember, it’s “The Way of the Chicken”. It is right and good that you should be pecked and learn your place. Be sure to thank Peggy every time she does it.

View attachment 3343104

By the way Lorna, did @MaryJanet name you after a cookie? How unfortunate. Although I do find them delicious.

View attachment 3343105
Excellent. This was just what I needed : a good laugh about this whole chicken drama.

It's so quiet this early in the morning. The chicks will be up soon I've been up since 3 am. Hubby gets up in 45 minutes to get ready for work. It's pretty mild temp right now says 47 degrees. Mostly cloudy, it's been cloudy and dark for days I really want to see the sun now. Gonna go check on the chicks. They are getting so big. I wonder though how do I introduce them outside when its so cold. Could put the electric heater out there. It's an automatic on and off thermostat and safety tip over will shut off.
Don’t put an electric heater out there. The dust alone that will settle in it could ignite a fire, not to mention the stuff kicked around. I’d recommend a radiant flat panel like the cozy coop panel (also used for dogs and cats)
https://www.mypetchicken.com/products/cozy-coop-heater

Tonight's Roosting

This is a long video. it took them 15 minutes to settle everything. I feel most bad for Betty. I'm going to go out and put her on a roost myself tonight.

Aurora should be happy. She was able to harass everyone tonight. 🙄

All that hard work of harassing everyone makes Auroroa hungry!

No one appreciates how hard it is to think up surprise attacks all the time:hmm

Back
Top Bottom