I have just called a carpenter. I'll see if I can battle on for as long as I can. He won't be able to come until March :(
Would it be possible without redoing completely the roof of the coop to add a gutter that would take the water where you want it to go ?
This is what I wondered. Or maybe some other type of barrier, even just sandbags to redirect the runoff around the sides.

Two Drs appts in one day
I also had two appointments yesterday, but for things not so serious as you. Hope they get you fixed up soon.

Tonight's Roosting

This is a long video. it took them 15 minutes to settle everything. I feel most bad for Betty. I'm going to go out and put her on a roost myself tonight.

Aurora should be happy. She was able to harass everyone tonight. 🙄
There is no Roost Justice

Poor Betty. I made things worse. I went out, pushed Phyllis over and put Betty on the roost next to her. I thought they would settle right down.

WRONG

Phyllis proceeded to pummel Betty until she gave up, hopped down, and went into the nest box again.

All I did was get Betty beat up. ☹️
Roosting drama is horrible. I tried to help Speedy last night by sticking her up in a fairly clear spot after dark. Nope, 5 minutes later they pecked her until she jumped off and went back to her solitary spot. Poor thing.

In a semi-related note, Speedy actually squatted for me today. First time to do a true squat. And her pelvic bones are spreading again. Hopefully this means she will lay her first egg before spring. She will probably stay low in the pecking order, but hopefully will at least start to be recognized as an “adult”.

It's so quiet this early in the morning. The chicks will be up soon I've been up since 3 am. Hubby gets up in 45 minutes to get ready for work. It's pretty mild temp right now says 47 degrees. Mostly cloudy, it's been cloudy and dark for days I really want to see the sun now. Gonna go check on the chicks. They are getting so big. I wonder though how do I introduce them outside when its so cold. Could put the electric heater out there. It's an automatic on and off thermostat and safety tip over will shut off.
I would not take them out until they are fully feathered. They will need a heat source and constant watching for signs of them getting cold. I would not want to risk losing them because I wasn't watching. They can turn cold very quickly.

I must say I have never seen anything like it.
It goes beyond the ‘get out of my spot’ sort of thing that seems common.
It also seems to go beyond deep personal animosity which seems to happen though less commonly.
She is a strange lady for sure!
She surely is unique. I wonder what the next leader will be like or if this will die of with her. It seems like Phyllis will want to continue the tradition if she is ever in charge.

So I'm really up waiting on my egg lady to come pick up 4 dozen eggs. After today I sort of go in isolation. Surgery is this Monday. I wont know what time until sometime Friday when the hospital calls. The next few days should be fun. At the dr appointment she put me on myfembre to stop the hormone production. She gave me samples instead of writing a prescription. It took a week but it finally did what it was supposed to do and after the first week only had a few hot flashes. Mood swings....there have been plenty. I took the last pill yesterday. I had called and was told to come in to get another weeks worth of samples from a nurse, go there yesterday, they are out. They decided it would be ok to go off of them until the surgery. I hope not but I fear the excessive bleeding and pain will return in a day or two. Yes the meds are a little rough with hot flashes and mood swings, but, it was worth it for 3 weeks of almost feeling normal for a change.
You are almost home. Not long now. Hang tough.

Wait, is it Tuesday? Dang it! I took this on the weekend to save it for Monday and missed Monday. Well, here it is a day late. I zoomed in, so it’s a bit fuzzy, but I think this picture of Minnie Minnie with her pin cushion head is so cute.

View attachment 3342979
I love her pin cushion throat area :)

Woohoo it's Wednesday! I have a pot of coffee made anxiously awaiting to read the new edition of Ask Aurora. After last nights roosting drama you know her response today will be salty.
Yep I am going through right now .... work is not as important as Dear Aurora!

Back
Top Bottom