It is always a battle between being reasonable with costs and providing them all the amenities. I can’t believe that initially very early on in this endeavor I thought I would possibly save money on eggs, ha! Nope it is truly a labor of love.
Oh I knew I wouldn’t save money on eggs! But then again I was getting enough egg money the pay for their feed so guess that’s ok!

But, we have a saying in the horse world:
‘You can become a millionaire quite easily with horses…’

‘All you have to do is start with a billion dollars!’

Same with chickens it seems!!!

Hazel sounds like my older sister treated me until I shot her in the butt cheek with my daisy bb gun 😂

From then on she wasn't as bossy 😆
I was 10, she was 12. I was minding my business when she started messing with me. Once I did it I knew dad would beat me so I popped her in the other cheek and went in the house and waited for dad to get home. Dad took my red rider and beat my butt but I smiled the whole time.
20221119_155912.jpg
childhood memory tax

I was hardly original with my three silkies, one was fluffy ( so got called Fluffy), one had curly feathers (so got called Curly), and the third I had no idea what to call so I optimistically called her Henny Penny and was extremely happy when she laid an egg😁.
I got a silky named Silky and a black rooster named Blackie. A gigantic naked neck named Big Boy and my youngest daughter is Kathleen, no middle name. Never seek naming advice from me😆

Aurora does that to Hattie. It's so bad Hattie no longer travels with the rest of the tribe to the treats. I now feed her treats separately. 😕
Yes, but I have a system with Popcorn when I'm offering things by hand. Not much actual pecks happen here, it's more vocal warnings she heeds. When she gets driven off I'll switch it up and offer it away from where the others are occupied, often out of sight, like under my chair on the other side of my legs or body. I call Popcorn in a certain voice and she knows to come around and look for my "secret" hand. She gets several good seconds of private gluttony this way before the others discover her.

Not so much pecking there, but with roosting tonight she got some strong ones. She went into the coop early (why, when this never ends well?), while Hazel followed to the ladder and monitored her disapprovingly but did nothing at first. I was sitting at the entrance to the Little Run and turned on the coop cam. Popcorn settled down right in the middle of the heating pad, lengthwise. She looked happy. Yay, what a treat! Then Hazel went up in and drove her back out.

Popcorn managed to get back up on the perch near the door to the coop to wait her turn, but Butters eventually pushed her off of that too, like she thought Popcorn was cramping her ladder climbing style. She had to wait at the bottom until everybody was in - Peanut, Hazel, then Butters - and then had to run the gauntlet of some strong Hazel pecks, because Hazel had manned the area just inside the coop door on the right. Popcorn gamely ran by her along the left wall, yelping from the pecks, but once past Hazel she was okay, and nobody bothered her further, at least then.

The Way Of The Chicken is not an easy one, for some chickens!

Peanut's floof does have some single strands coming out. I can't see them well enough yet (close enough yet) to see if they branch near the tips like filoplumes. She kept moving everytime I tried to get a shot.
PXL_20221207_210057652.jpg

PXL_20221207_210104739.jpg

PXL_20221207_210109797.jpg

My Heart Stopped Tonight

I was out of town and Mrs BY Bob was in charge of roosting tonight. When I got home this is what I saw on the coop camera.

The Main Coop Cam_20221207_224050.jpg

That is Lady Featherington roosted in the main coop. There is no sign of Betty or Glynda. The Cluckle Hut was empty.

After what happened with Legertha when I left her alone with the chickens, well let's say I was really scared. Add to that the fact that Mrs BY Bob was not home when I got home and I had no one to ask. I was worried.

So I suited up and went out. Here is what I found.

20221207_224228.jpg

Betty was in the nest box behind Hattie.

Lady Featherington seemed quite comfortable in the main coop.

20221207_224612.jpg

Everyone is ok and I moved Lady Featherington and Glynda back into the Cluckle Hut together.

I have no idea what happened other than possibly they stayed out to late and the door to the Cluckle Hut closed before they went to bed. Lady Featherington chose or was allowed to roost in the main coop and Glynda choose the chair.

Nerve wracking for certain.

I need a drink.

Attachments

• 20221207_224612.jpg
    20221207_224612.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221207_224228.jpg
    20221207_224228.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 0
  • The Main Coop Cam_20221207_224050.jpg
    The Main Coop Cam_20221207_224050.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
My Heart Stopped Tonight

I was out of town and Mrs BY Bob was in charge of roosting tonight. When I got home this is what I saw on the coop camera.

View attachment 3343873

That is Lady Featherington roosted in the main coop. There is no sign of Betty or Glynda. The Cluckle Hut was empty.

After what happened with Legertha when I left her alone with the chickens, well let's say I was really scared. Add to that the fact that Mrs BY Bob was not home when I got home and I had no one to ask. I was worried.

So I suited up and went out. Here is what I found.

View attachment 3343874
Betty was in the nest box behind Hattie.

Lady Featherington seemed quite comfortable in the main coop.

View attachment 3343875

Everyone is ok and I moved Lady Featherington and Glynda back into the Cluckle Hut together.

I have no idea what happened other than possibly they stayed out to late and the door to the Cluckle Hut closed before they went to bed. Lady Featherington chose or was allowed to roost in the main coop and Glynda choose the chair.

Nerve wracking for certain.

I need a drink.
OMG - I think I need a drink too!

Back
Top Bottom