I only managed to get one butt picture today! It was pouring (good news for us 😁) and I'm still a bit under the weather.

Léa and Merle acting like the rain doesn't exist. I'm so happy to say that Merle was much better today !
IMG_20221209_145946.jpg

I made good use of the exceptional rainy day- we've bought a new laptop! Ours was twelve years old and though it was still running, a lot of patience was required. So I did all the setup and file transfers on the new one. It took me forever to overrun all the windows security and firewalls that were stopping me from downloading all the apps I wanted.

I also took a picture when I got the chickens to roost tonight. It's hard to see but Théo is on a mobile roost device, in between two long fix roosts. His roost used to be in the other side of the ladder, right under Gaston. Under Gaston's team I added a second perch that helps them reach their roost without using the ladder if needed and that should allow Léa to move away from Piou-piou the bully, but I need to bring it higher as the space is too wide in between.
poulailler .jpg

You might laugh at this, but corrugated cardboard is a good insulator, as long as it stays dry. The one real down side to it is small critters like insulated homes, too, and may find that it makes a great home for them within the walls...as they can chew out a nice little cozy home for themselves there.

Aside from that, multiple thicknesses of corrugated cardboard, fitted between the studs, does do wonders. All you need is a box cutter to fit to size, and if you have some of those woven grain bags, staple them over the cardboard to the studs (overlapping them some) to act as a 'housewrap' and keep the chickens from pecking the cardboard. Then, time & money permitting, over that put thin plywood.

If in the future you want to put real insulation in, use the feed bags on the inside against the outer wall, then cardboard, then another layer of bags, again, to keep chickens from pecking cardboard. If nothing else, it will buy you another winter before doing something permanent regarding permanent insulation. Start working at roost height and above, and ceiling. Lots of stores, especially coming into Christmas season, will have large boxes. Home depot, TSC, any place that sells large items such as gun safes, wood stoves, smokers, washers/dryers, etc.
Good idea.

Back
Top Bottom