Ya that would have been me :)

They don't sell chicks here in the feed mills (good thing too!), you have to order them in special, and then they get delivered to the feed mill - you go pick them up.

I am still super interested in getting some chicks from that one hatchery that has all the specialty chickens - all assuming I can contact them and grab some last minute. I wont dare hatch out eggs - it's too much heart ache for me with getting Roos. My luck I would get all Roos.

:(

But I would sooooooo love to hatch out some MartyxP babies - sucks to have to worry about the poor wee things :(

Henny Penny and her month old chickies (16 Nov 2021):

Born 14 Oct 2021, by a month old it was getting hard to fit under Henny Penny!
View attachment 3389247View attachment 3389248
Henny Penny looks so satisfied she grew giant chicks. Adorable 🥰

I am so confused.
Babs is up in the rafters. Eli is in Bernadette's spot. Bernie is on a different roost entirely.
:idunno
Progress! Looks like Eli might become the boss mare!

What breed did you say Bern was again? I really liked that breed and want to start making a list of the 100 chicks I am going to get this spring.

:)

I am so grateful for a mild winter back home this winter - makes my being out here easier knowing 1) my mum isn't fighting -30C weather and storms like last year, 2) the chickies don't have to be freezing in that barn without the benefit of the horses warming it up.

I am hoping and praying the rest of the winter stays warm. Then when I get home maybe I will have some broodies that need some chicks to care for :)

Oh I wish I could hatch eggs... :(
View attachment 3389282
I love egg pics, so many pretty colors!!

Progress! Looks like Eli might become the boss mare!

What breed did you say Bern was again? I really liked that breed and want to start making a list of the 100 chicks I am going to get this spring.

:)
I don't think Eli is the boss. She ended up there when the music stopped because Eli flew over to the other roost (possibly to chase her or to see if she could get to the rafters) and that left Eli stuck on the main roost.
The only really sure thing is that Babs goes up.
Both Eli and Bernie spend time flying back and forth, but Babs doesn't hesitate she just goes straight up.
Bernie is a Welbar (which is just like a Welsummer).

Henny Penny looks so satisfied she grew giant chicks. Adorable 🥰

Here they are at just over 2 months, bigger than mama now (Old Penelope is in the back - she really liked the chicks but has never gone broody - if she ever does I will put chicks under her so fast!).

The 2 black ones are Rose and Dorothy, whom I kept being pullets.

The two in the front, left / centre are little Roos, 1/2 silkies - one showed silkie/frizzle feathers - Curly was his egg mama; the other one (on the left) from Fluffy's egg had normal feathers.

I had to get rid of these two and the father Pangoo, as they were little terrors - attacking my mum, thrashing the girls, the two young Roos were fighting and causing Old Penelope to try to intervene - she would get exhausted trying to break them up.... It broke my heart, but I couldn't risk Penelope or my mum, and this is why I won't hatch eggs again.

IMG_20211225_085740.jpg

Back
Top Bottom