New Rule
This has nothing to do with anything anyone has said personally. This is just me. The term "flighty" is being thrown around a lot here lately since @RebeccaBoyd got leghorns. I find it offensive. It is a sloppy way to describe leghorns started by people who do not view them as anything other than little egg machines who frustrate their efforts to keep them confined in tiny places.

Therefore we now have a New Rule on this thread.

The use of the word "Flighty" to describe leghorns is officially banned.
I will defend the reputation of the leghorn to my last breath. It is a sorely misunderstood chicken breed. A breed where human beings have destroyed their genetics to benefit us and not the birds. A breed which is called flighty because they somehow are clever enough to escape human efforts at keeping them in captivity. A breed where the vast majority of their kind spend their entire lives in tiny cages so humans can save a dollar on eggs.

I will stand for it no more. If you wish to disparage leghorns go start your own thread. None of our many leghorns has given us any trouble outside of dying too young.

Exhibit A
20210131_103221.jpg

Exhibit B
20210131_103048.jpg

Exhibit C
20210131_105955.jpg

And Exhibit D, THE GREATEST HEN EVER!
2016-07-17_09-05-59.jpg

And just because, Exhibits C & D together.

2015-08-01 20.07.25.jpg

There is such as thing as Cat Math, it’s just not as widespread as Chicken Math. I’m not sure of the equations but I have never heard of your rule. It’s not got to do with people in the house, maybe more like people who could be in the house. :lau
@BY Bob
There could be a relation to Chicken Math and your people/ house rule now that I think about it more, but I think you have it backwards. Cats and people are like bantams and full-size chickens. You ought to be able to fit at least two to three times as many cats as there are people in the house.... :oops:

Another August 2020 pullet pic
IMG_20200819_133342598_HDR.jpg

New Rule
This has nothing to do with anything anyone has said personally. This is just me. The term "flighty" is being thrown around a lot here lately since @RebeccaBoyd got leghorns. I find it offensive. It is a sloppy way to describe leghorns started by people who do not view them as anything other than little egg machines who frustrate their efforts to keep them confined in tiny places.

Therefore we now have a New Rule on this thread.

The use of the word "Flighty" to describe leghorns is officially banned.
I will defend the reputation of the leghorn to my last breath. It is a sorely misunderstood chicken breed. A breed where human beings have destroyed their genetics to benefit us and not the birds. A breed which is called flighty because they somehow are clever enough to escape human efforts at keeping them in captivity. A breed where the vast majority of their kind spend their entire lives in tiny cages so humans can save a dollar on eggs.

I will stand for it no more. If you wish to disparage leghorns go start your own thread. None of our many leghorns has given us any trouble outside of dying too young.

Exhibit A
View attachment 3390281

Exhibit B
View attachment 3390280

Exhibit C
View attachment 3390283

And Exhibit D, THE GREATEST HEN EVER!
View attachment 3390306

And just because, Exhibits C & D together.

View attachment 3390282
Well flighty is not bad for me. Momma hen is flighty, and wicked smart. In a free range setting being flighty will mean they are more able to escape a predator. When the avian flu broke out this spring and we were hearing of authorities coming and putting down entire flocks. I made the comment to mom if they showed up for me not to fight them they would have to catch Momma Hen without the use of a net. Trust me, my flock would have been safe.

And there are still many rafters that have not yet been claimed! I think I need at least one that won't fly to the rafters but will use one of the roosts.
Some Orpingtons do prefer the ground to roosts.

The Main Coop Cam_20230129_202649.jpg

Some do roost
Roosting in the Cluckle Hut_20230129_202704.jpg

And yes. That is Phyllis with Lady Featherington in the Cluckle Hut and Glynda in the main coop. I have no idea what happens out there anymore.

Back
Top Bottom