Greg’s birthday, not mine.
SHRA tax: 14E3EC0B-B0E8-4B86-9361-459A47894165.jpeg

We have been discussing just that. Her words were I can say whatever I want she is going to do what she wants to do. I'm trying to limit her to 1 coffee cup a day of meal worms. She doesn't care. I'm trying to convince her it is not good for them but it is not going well.
Oh oh. How about alternating with other healthy snacks ? Or strongly suggest raising a mealworm farm at home if she's so keen to have as much as she want 😂?
Yes - the same with Arabian horses - they have been called flighty to often because people don't know how to deal with their energetic ways.

I sometimes think that people just want to take the easy way out when dealing with people and/or animals and believe all must be calm, no emotions, quiet, unassuming.... this way they don't have to learn how to deal with different emotions, or energy levels.

In reality every living creature is different, even plants have differences! I can't even tell you how many times I have been told I talk too loud, laugh too loud, sing too loud... walk too loud... swear too much - sheesh (ok maybe I can work on the swearing...)! When I was younger it really bothered me - now I just laugh and tell them learn to enjoy life, live large, and 'I am not changing to suit your tastes'. At my age I am NOT likely to change and don't want to! So what if I have an evil temper, and laugh too readily - I am me, and so are little hens and horses!

Is my Arabian a nut case? Yep she sure can be compared to a quiet quarter horse. Are Henny Penny and Marty noisy little hens compared to my cousin's hens? They sure are! compared to hens that likely will never go broody - and I just had an epiphany!

Has anyone else noted that the louder they squawk when laying an egg the more they are prone to going broody? I have never heard Penelope carry on like Henny Penny does!

It has been my experience that using personality traits to describe breeds is highly inaccurate, and very subjective! What one might call 'flighty', or 'calm', or 'aggressive', I might call something different. For me when I am looking at perspective chicks to get in the Spring I am looking at egg colour, feather colour and patterns. Not personality; even body shape is hard to predict many times!

OK that is all I am going to say on the matter,

Yours Truly,

Ms Flighty Noisy Swears-too-much Kelly

💕
I like very much your perspective on this.
It's why I've stopped reading rooster posts on BYC and why I don't actually ask for advice when I'm in trouble with mine. I get the feeling that if a rooster isn't a nice tame pet many people will say to immediately put him down.
But, some of us may have an environment where it's more safe to have a rooster, or a ram, or a dog, or a crazy mare, that needs for people to be careful around him or her, whereas it's impossible in other environments. The animals are what they are- we can't turn them into what we exactly want them to be. I don't have children but my parents have always told me that they would still love and support me if I didn't share their opinions, and even their values, apart maybe from one of two things that can't be compromised on.

I have quite a strong view that the breed of an animal is just a minor aspect of his identity, I believe that education, environment, life's experiences, and individual personality are as or even more important. I don't have enough experience with chickens to really have an educated view on them, especially as mine are ex-batts and mutts. I would enjoy hearing from those of you who think that breeds are a determinant aspect to a chicken's personality what are the reasons that have led you to you believe this.

Monday mugs from Gaston's team :
IMG_20230130_130805.jpg
IMG_20230130_130810.jpg
IMG_20230130_130550.jpg
IMG_20230130_130801~2.jpg

Oh oh. How about alternating with other healthy snacks ? Or strongly suggest raising a mealworm farm at home if she's so keen to have as much as she want 😂?

It's why I've stopped reading rooster posts on BYC and why I don't actually ask for advice when I'm in trouble with mine. I get the feeling that if a rooster isn't a nice tame pet many people will say to immediately put him down.
But, some of us may have an environment where it's more safe to have a rooster, or a ram, or a dog, or a crazy mare, that needs for people to be careful around him or her, whereas it's impossible in other environments. The animals are what they are- we can't turn them into what we exactly want them to be. I don't have children but my parents have always told me that they would still love and support me if I didn't share their opinions, and even their values, apart maybe from one of two things that can't be compromised on.

I have quite a strong view that the breed of an animal is just a minor aspect of his identity, I believe that education, environment, life's experiences, and individual personality are as or even more important. I don't have enough experience with chickens to really have an educated view on them, especially as mine are ex-batts and mutts. I would enjoy hearing from those of you who think that breeds are a determinant aspect to a chicken's personality what are the reasons that have led you to you believe this.

View attachment 3390591View attachment 3390592View attachment 3390594View attachment 3390595
Ooooo! I see fuzzy legs!

Tell me - those photos of the hen roosting in the tree with the nice green leaves - is that back in the summer? or is that an ever-green type tree? if so what kind of tree? :)

I am always on the lookout for different trees for at home, I have evergreen type trees like Wintergreen - it has lovely shiny green leaves, and red berries.

I wouldn't mind putting something like that up at the barn that the chickens wont eat, tear up.... I have pretty much given up on flowers and veggies/tomatoes :)

Sounds like a Welbar like Bernie. Only with her you have to imagine the egg part!
Well - she will either start laying eggs, OR not :)

Not much you can do about it - personally (and I am sure you are in the same camp), I don't care if they lay eggs or not, to me they are part of the family.

But I do really love that speckled feather look - can't remember if combs and wattles though :D

Thanks for the ice pack recipe, I may try that if I can get DH to mix some up. I can’t take T3 or anything with codeine in it. Unfortunately due to drug interactions with some pain killers and being sensitive to others, my only choices are basically regular acetaminophen (Tylenol), Vicodin/Norco, or Percocet. Tylenol is useles with this pain, and insurance restricts Percocet the same way it does Vicodin/Norco.

It was one week ago today that I fell. So surgery will be 10 days after the injury. My biggest concern right now is we are supposed to have freezing rain Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. I am scared they might reschedule due to weather. 🥺

I hope you can get in to see the doctor quickly and that you feel better soon. :hugs

Bob I am happy to follow your rules, but I honestly don’t think anyone in this thread has called any breed flighty in a derogatory manner (and when discussing breed suggestions I have seen it used about many others besides just leghorns). To me it means more apt to fly and possibly startled more easily. Which is important for someone considering a breed to know, because it means they are more likely to get out of areas with low fencing and more likely to get into trees or on top of coops, etc.

Ditto

Not necessarily. But I also wouldn’t like it for someone to call my butt fluffy (even though it is a bit large lol). It isn’t really a fair comparison to compare using the same terminology on people as in different species. Just like it is perfectly acceptable to call a breeding female dog a “bit__”, but inappropriate to use it about a human female. I feel like you have gotten yourself all worked up about something that nobody was saying in the manner that you took it. I hope once you have time to cool off you will feel better about the situation. :hugs💜

Tax for the non-chicken related topics.
View attachment 3390489

View attachment 3390490

View attachment 3390491
Oh no! I sure hope the weather cooperates for you - I will put in my order for 'nice weather' for you! 10 days is just way too long - in that amt of time a 'bone callus' starts to form :(

(hugs hugs hugs)

OK now - about those babies.... you all really have to stop this posting baby pics! (OK I really don't mean that haha). You are all giving me 'ideas' for more babies when I get home :D 💕

(Oh My Gosh!! they are soooo cute - love them!)

No, she’s a Legbar and lays blue eggs. They other two, who are no longer alive, laid white eggs. I believe Egg Yolk Peritonitis gone septic got both of them.

Hopefully the Isabella Leghorns I hope to get this year have better genetics.
Oh yes I want one of those! Legbars were one I looked at but the hatchery is saying they are not available - boo hoo!!! But I am hoping that they will have some further along in the Spring / summer. I was hoping for a shimmering white one like @by_bob Glynda but a spotty one would be nice also!

They are NOT bantams. Similar sized to Polish, puts them on the small end for standard sized chickens. They do grow their feathers in neat/snug (sleek looking rather than loose/fluffy looking) if that makes any sense. The feathers lay close to their body....like a crow's feathers.

They're originally from Germany. In looking up Hamburg, it's Northern Germany, just below the Denmark Peninsula, so damp, cold winters I think
Ah! perfect - Ontario winters then. Hmmm - I was looking but none in Ontario. Just as well, I would have 75 chickens before I know it!

View attachment 3390591View attachment 3390592View attachment 3390594View attachment 3390595
:love :love :love :love

Back
Top Bottom