Chipie and Merle having a "who's the boss" static contest. Have you seen that type of interaction between your chickens, when one seems to show something on the floor to another and they stay completely frozen for a minute ? I'm guessing it's about hierarchy, but not completely sure.
View attachment 3391449
Gaston and Merle bathing in a barrel that is way too small for Gaston
View attachment 3391450
Théo and Chipie have a complicated relation now
View attachment 3391451
Piou-piou and Léa look golden when the sun shines
View attachment 3391454
Yeah I have seen these "stare down". Yesterday Inky and Honey stared at each other for a good minute. It was so funny. They kept it for so long I almost had time to go get my phone to video.

Previously I've seen this multiple times between Inky and Light. At the time, Inky was being bullied by everyone. She gained more confidence after Ginger left and she had more feather growth. She and Light was sorting out pecking order in my opinion. They stare each other very intensely, followed by a fight. It was like a western movie scene.

Light lost both fight that I saw.

Anyone hear from Bob :oops::fl

I feel like I need to reach out and give him a hug, and a thanks for sticking up for his values. It's something I very much appreciate and value.

Another Two For Tuesday photo

I love how Stanley is shading Roxanne's head :)
DSCN0302.JPG

Worth the mess in my opinion. Entertainment is priceless.
Yup and if it were just me taking care of them it wouldn't be a problem - but when I am out here I need to hire someone to care for my gang of critters - and my mum does that for now.... I don't want water around making things slippery. Or adding to her work load.

Okay, so I have been looking for a online place to buy chicken feed and I have settled on Kalmbach, I really like to get their henhouse reserve and mix it with their all-flock but the henhouse has calcium in it.

Now, having read a few posts on BYC about calcium being unnecessary and potentially harmful to Roosters I have to date gone the route of all flock with free choice oyster shell. But I am having issues getting all flock consistently at rural king and TS here doesn’t carry it at all. So this is what spurred my search for an online supplier.

My question for you fine folks is this, what truth is there to this if any? Is layer feed actually bad for a roosters health?
I heard that too much calcium intake is bad for rooster's heart. I am sure other folks will give you better information.

Why did you choose Kalmbach? Is there something good about it? We have been getting this brand from a local feed store 30 min away (just to support small stores). Do you have local and small feed stores that you can go to, instead of RK and TS? Perhaps they have other choices that you like.

Right now I've been thinking to get chicken feed from a local mill, where everything was NC produced.

Back
Top Bottom