I have tried all flock, but my ex-batts had laying issues.
I agree with @RebeccaBoyd , I also chose to give layer feed to everyone.
I also do something very unorthodox so I'm not necessarily recommending it, but here it is. I've doing this since last summer now. I buy a bag of organic wheat. In one feeder, I mix half layer feed, half organic wheat ; in the others I put only layer feed. So the chickens chose. It may be because they've always been used to it, but the ex-batts prefer the layer feed ; the roosters and the younger pullets prefer the mix, which has less protein and less calcium.
Interesting indeed! I would have thought the roos would want more protein as well as the still growing pullets.

I have two feeders and could easily let them choose for themselves vs mixing it. Ill do that, its perfect, especially since Oreo prefers the feeder in the run. All flock in the run. A mix in the coop. And of course oyster shell will remain available at all the times. I will see if I can source organic wheat but I have low hope on finding it for a reasonable price here in the states.

I heard that too much calcium intake is bad for rooster's heart. I am sure other folks will give you better information.

Why did you choose Kalmbach? Is there something good about it? We have been getting this brand from a local feed store 30 min away (just to support small stores). Do you have local and small feed stores that you can go to, instead of RK and TS? Perhaps they have other choices that you like.

Right now I've been thinking to get chicken feed from a local mill, where everything was NC produced.
They get consistently good reviews here and online. They seem to have decent quality without being priced out of reach. Plus, I can get it from Chewy right along with food for the cats and dogs.

We do have some local places but they are about 30-45 minutes away (I live in a very rural area) and Ill be honest the convenience counts, not proud but its the truth. I figured I would give them a try and see how it goes.

Those hand warmers you shake to activate are warm enough. They last about 10 hours so you would have to replace them along the way. But they don’t cost a lot!
Put them inside socks so the chickies don’t peck them. Better still put them under the box they are in.
Make sure the box has good ventilation low down because the sachets use oxygen to create heat.
Now that's a fab idea. Please let me know if you try this and it's successful.

I saw someone camping in the snow on youtube that used something like this on their feet. Doesn't the skin have something to making them affective?

Last edited:
I heard that too much calcium intake is bad for rooster's heart. I am sure other folks will give you better information.

Why did you choose Kalmbach? Is there something good about it? We have been getting this brand from a local feed store 30 min away (just to support small stores). Do you have local and small feed stores that you can go to, instead of RK and TS? Perhaps they have other choices that you like.

Right now I've been thinking to get chicken feed from a local mill, where everything was NC produced.
I've had to turn to my supplier and use their liquid calcium. The tablets were to uncomfortable for them . So I use this liquid in their water. 3 days vitamins followed by 3 days acv then 3 days calcium

Now that's a fab idea. Please let me know if you try this and it's successful.

I saw someone camping in the snow on youtube that used something like this on their feet. Doesn't tge skin have something to them being affective?
I used it when I brought Bernadette, Lulu and Bella home. That was a 3 hour journey. They just need to be unwrapped and shaken and then they react with air.

Anyone hear from Bob :oops::fl

I feel like I need to reach out and give him a hug, and a thanks for sticking up for his values. It's something I very much appreciate and value.

Another Two For Tuesday photo

I love how Stanley is shading Roxanne's head :)
View attachment 3391773
So cute, flexi was like this with Agatha. As Bob would say that's ❤

Okay, so I have been looking for a online place to buy chicken feed and I have settled on Kalmbach, I really like to get their henhouse reserve and mix it with their all-flock but the henhouse has calcium in it.

Now, having read a few posts on BYC about calcium being unnecessary and potentially harmful to Roosters I have to date gone the route of all flock with free choice oyster shell. But I am having issues getting all flock consistently at rural king and TS here doesn’t carry it at all. So this is what spurred my search for an online supplier.

My question for you fine folks is this, what truth is there to this if any? Is layer feed actually bad for a roosters health?

Tractor Supply by me has Nutrena Naturewise All Flock online (besides usually in the store). TSC will ship stuff even if the store doesn't stock it. Adds to the cost though!

Yeah I have seen these "stare down". Yesterday Inky and Honey stared at each other for a good minute. It was so funny. They kept it for so long I almost had time to go get my phone to video.

Previously I've seen this multiple times between Inky and Light. At the time, Inky was being bullied by everyone. She gained more confidence after Ginger left and she had more feather growth. She and Light was sorting out pecking order in my opinion. They stare each other very intensely, followed by a fight. It was like a western movie scene.

Light lost both fight that I saw.
I can hear that ,Good bad and the Ugly tune again. Did they have pistols :D

Back
Top Bottom