Glad you took this step. Hope this helps you focus on your physical and mental wellbeing for awhile.

Made it home. They say surgery went well. Have a metal plate on one bone and screws in both of them. Have a nerve block pump for three days to help control pain. Doctor also sent prescription for pain meds to a different pharmacy where they charged less than $5 without going through insurance. And I have a clad wrap that inflates to go on my other leg for several days to prevent blood clots. It is much smaller than ones I have had in hospital in the past, rechargeable and no tubes.
So glad all went well and that you were able to check in with us to put our minds at rest.
Good news on the pain meds.

Has Bob popped in yet?

In other news… We interrupt this program to let you know… SOMEONE LAID THE FIRST EGG OF THE SEASON!!!

8B452FD9-9264-4B36-B66C-F51EFA83ADED.jpeg

Last edited:
Those hand warmers you shake to activate are warm enough. They last about 10 hours so you would have to replace them along the way. But they don’t cost a lot!
Put them inside socks so the chickies don’t peck them. Better still put them under the box they are in.
Make sure the box has good ventilation low down because the sachets use oxygen to create heat.
I buy these by the case every year, mostly for the humans. I put them in my pockets in the winter when I’m outside with the chickens or at night when walking the dog. I did use them last time I picked up chicks, but that was 2 1/2 years ago. I do find that they need oxygen to stay hot. Sometimes I’ll have one in my pocket that has become a bit crusty, but when I scrunch it and shake it, it warms back up.

I awoke again - dreaming of shipping chicks - sheesh!

Well long time to go before I head home in April - and if they don't have the varieties I want (need auto-sexing ones so I am sure of getting pullets), then I will be disappointed!
You aren’t actually going to ship chicks, right, Kelly? You’re going to take them with you so you can make sure they’re OK?

I buy these by the case every year, mostly for the humans. I put them in my pockets in the winter when I’m outside with the chickens or at night when walking the dog. I did use them last time I picked up chicks, but that was 2 1/2 years ago. I do find that they need oxygen to stay hot. Sometimes I’ll have one in my pocket that has become a bit crusty, but when I scrunch it and shake it, it warms back up.
If someone scrunched and shook me, I’d get a little hot too! :mad:

Shut up Alex! :duc

You aren’t actually going to ship chicks, right, Kelly? You’re going to take them with you so you can make sure they’re OK?
If I get them yes I will pick them up on the way home in April - all assuming they have any chicks at the hatcheries.

It will mean I will have to drive through northern Ontario back home - a route I vowed never to drive again.... I would like to go home through the US. Not some wilderness mountainous crappy dangerous roads.

But if I must then I must - I am being enabled by someone - yes you know who you are! Putting thoughts of Silver Spangled Babies in my head... tsk tsk tsk....

Back
Top Bottom