Are you sure she is gone-gone? Where were the other pullets? Scared/in hiding, or nearby just hanging out/free ranging?

I have had a couple of hens surprise me - I thought they were gone, but they weren't....since she is laying, might she have gone off and found a nesting spot?

:fl :fl I'm hoping that it is only this. Try shaking whatever you use for a treat jar and calling them.:fl:fl

:hugs:hugs:hugs If she really is gone (but I'm not giving up hope yet. Remember all those 'hidden ladies' on this thread?)
Three pullets got out, I found Brownie and Ginger just casually pecking around foraging outside the run this afternoon. I ran out and started counting and then through the panic my heart sunk as I realized Powder was MIA. I searched for an hour after getting everyone in the coop. Oreo attacked me he was so riled which is something he has never ever done as I turned my back to close the coop door. I don’t blame him in the least.

I just looked again now after I picked up the kids from school. Still no sign of her. Oreo is beyond riled and charged me again but stopped short. The only thing I found was a very small pile of white feathers, no blood, no animal prints. My guess at this point is an adult red tail hawk or eagle took her. I will keep searching but I am far from hopeful.

Oh that's just awful. I'm so very very sorry this has happened. :hugs :hugs :hugs

One of things about chicken keeping is the realization of all the things you have to learn the hard way. Unfortunately that can result in tragedy. Remember to be kind to yourself. I say this because it has been my experience even though I am frequently unkind to myself. Don't be like BY Bob, give yourself grace.
Thank you so very much for the kind words.

I'm so sorry, and I can imagine how terrible you must feel. :hugs :hugs :hugs:hugs

It seems that it's exceptional to keep chickens and not make a fatal mistake one day ....and often more than one mistake, unfortunately. Not many chickens die of old age. At some point, every chicken keeper will feel responsible for a chicken's death. I agree with By Bob, try to not be too hard on yourself 💚.

I would look again just in case before it gets dark because when they are in a panic, chickens can hide in very strange places. But I don't want to give you false hopes 😔.
Thank you so much, I will keep looking.

Three pullets got out, I found Brownie and Ginger just casually pecking around foraging outside the run this afternoon. I ran out and started counting and then through the panic my heart sunk as I realized Powder was MIA. I searched for an hour after getting everyone in the coop. Oreo attacked me he was so riled which is something he has never ever done as I turned my back to close the coop door. I don’t blame him in the least.

I just looked again now after I picked up the kids from school. Still no sign of her. Oreo is beyond riled and charged me again but stopped short. The only thing I found was a very small pile of white feathers, no blood, no animal prints. My guess at this point is an adult red tail hawk or eagle took her. I will keep searching but I am far from hopeful.
:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugsI am so sorry! I was really hoping that she had just gone hidden finding a spot to lay, or that she was scared and hidden that way.

It is odd that the other two were just casually eating...usually when something like that happens, there is a big squawking that they make, and they tend to be skittish/want go hide under shrubs, etc. Though that could be why Oreo is off. He would be upset hearing & seeing the hen go, but not being able to do anything.:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

Awwww that’s too bad!

I will have to see what happens here when the sun gets up. If Ol Blue sees his shadow or not 🥰

Of course either way we still have at least 6 weeks of winter.
How's Ol' Blue doing? I know he's just a truck but still I like pickup trucks.
Around here, it's 6 more weeks or 12 more weeks.
Well, back to hiding. I hate cold weather.

Definitely look again around dusk.
Have low expectations but do not totally give up.
:hugs

Winter? Well, yes. Tonight could plummet to 17 F. One of the cities up north of us was like -4 F or something but take a look at next week.
Weather Screenshot 8.jpg

Then here's the temperature now.
Screenshot 2023-02-02 160021.jpg

Feels more like 31 F if you ask me.

OFF AND ON COLD WEATHER!!!:barnieMake a FINAL DECISION!!!

Back
Top Bottom