Three pullets got out, I found Brownie and Ginger just casually pecking around foraging outside the run this afternoon. I ran out and started counting and then through the panic my heart sunk as I realized Powder was MIA. I searched for an hour after getting everyone in the coop. Oreo attacked me he was so riled which is something he has never ever done as I turned my back to close the coop door. I don’t blame him in the least.

I just looked again now after I picked up the kids from school. Still no sign of her. Oreo is beyond riled and charged me again but stopped short. The only thing I found was a very small pile of white feathers, no blood, no animal prints. My guess at this point is an adult red tail hawk or eagle took her. I will keep searching but I am far from hopeful.
:hugs :hugs :hugs

I don’t know when it happened it could have been this morning as I thought they were safe in the run and I had not been out to check on them for several hours. So, perhaps the other girls had calmed down by the time I saw them.

Oreo remains quite agitated and aggressively upset. I don't think he could have fit through the small hole the girls got out of to help her. I imagine that would be terribly upsetting to him. Ill give him grace, time, and space as we all work through losing her.

For now everyone is locked in the coop. Tomorrow we will head to Home Depot to fix this so it doesn’t happen to anyone else.

* To anyone who wished me condolences I might have missed thank you.
You know what, Oreo may know where she is hiding. Have you thought about letting him out and following him?

Back
Top Bottom