Dear Aurora,

Chiquita here and hope you have some advice. As you know my humans mom felt sorry for me being denied chicks of my own from my cruel human. She surprised me with 6 perfect little marshmallows a week ago. At first I was confused. My human only graced me with the gift of 1 egg 2 days before their arrival. I am still not sure how that 1 turned into 6. It was not long though before I did not care and those peeps are mine and mine alone. Now this is not my first time rearing chicks, but I have heard through the grape vine that these 6 are special. They are I think I heard my human say leghorns. As their mother of course I think they are special but now I look at them and question, what is a leghorn? I asked my flock mates about rearing leghorns and they claimed they had no idea what I was talking about. Then they muttered something that angered me about how could they be special if they had no feathered feet or were not destined to lay a dark brown egg. Discrimination I tell you, I do not lay a brown egg either, mine are white. I've saw on beakbook you come from a flock where your human used to have these magical leghorns. I know there is none currently in your flock but I hear your human reminisces about them from time to time. There have been rumors that "The Greatest Hen Ever" according to him was a leghorn. I hope it is not too much to ask of such a busy queen, but could you ease drop on these stories for me. Maybe over a mealworm snack he will talk about them again. I need to know what makes them special. I have to teach my marshmallows what it is to be a leghorn. Right now they are young and I am working on "digging 101". No matter what kind of chicken you are I feel you need to learn to dig. Big holes at that, is my motto. You should see them dig, they took to it right away. It will not be long and they can join me in creating many ankle breaking holes in the communal dust bathing spot. My human when I allow her permission is trying to teach them to fly onto her. Well, right now I call their flying skills graceful hopping and falling, much like my own. Should I allow this to continue? I mean, I'm not sure how much I should allow interaction with her seeing as how it took her 5 weeks to realize I was not giving up on having babies of my own again. This coming from someone who claims to know a lot of "The way of the chicken".

Respectfully yours,
Mother of Marshmallows Chiquita
View attachment 3394997
This is awesome!

I feel it is my duty to share the stories of my failures no matter how painful or embarrassing so that others may not make the same mistakes as me. Or failing that, so they know that the same things have happened to others and they are not alone.

Thank you for letting me know you find it helpful. It's hard to know if it helps anyone sometimes.
More helpful than you know 🥰

I appreciate everyone’s stories and successes and failures. This is how we all learn, by living life. You cannot truly learn well if you don’t live well.

More helpful than you know 🥰

I appreciate everyone’s stories and successes and failures. This is how we all learn, by living life. You cannot truly learn well if you don’t live well.
I love all the stories. BYC (FBA) is a big part of my day I have learned so much.

Dear Aurora,

Chiquita here and hope you have some advice. As you know my humans mom felt sorry for me being denied chicks of my own from my cruel human. She surprised me with 6 perfect little marshmallows a week ago. At first I was confused. My human only graced me with the gift of 1 egg 2 days before their arrival. I am still not sure how that 1 turned into 6. It was not long though before I did not care and those peeps are mine and mine alone. Now this is not my first time rearing chicks, but I have heard through the grape vine that these 6 are special. They are I think I heard my human say leghorns. As their mother of course I think they are special but now I look at them and question, what is a leghorn? I asked my flock mates about rearing leghorns and they claimed they had no idea what I was talking about. Then they muttered something that angered me about how could they be special if they had no feathered feet or were not destined to lay a dark brown egg. Discrimination I tell you, I do not lay a brown egg either, mine are white. I've saw on beakbook you come from a flock where your human used to have these magical leghorns. I know there is none currently in your flock but I hear your human reminisces about them from time to time. There have been rumors that "The Greatest Hen Ever" according to him was a leghorn. I hope it is not too much to ask of such a busy queen, but could you ease drop on these stories for me. Maybe over a mealworm snack he will talk about them again. I need to know what makes them special. I have to teach my marshmallows what it is to be a leghorn. Right now they are young and I am working on "digging 101". No matter what kind of chicken you are I feel you need to learn to dig. Big holes at that, is my motto. You should see them dig, they took to it right away. It will not be long and they can join me in creating many ankle breaking holes in the communal dust bathing spot. My human when I allow her permission is trying to teach them to fly onto her. Well, right now I call their flying skills graceful hopping and falling, much like my own. Should I allow this to continue? I mean, I'm not sure how much I should allow interaction with her seeing as how it took her 5 weeks to realize I was not giving up on having babies of my own again. This coming from someone who claims to know a lot of "The way of the chicken".

Respectfully yours,
Mother of Marshmallows Chiquita
View attachment 3394997
AWESOME !!!!

That was great!!!

When this happens to me I need to fully exit the app. That means clear it from the phones memory by doing the "show all apps that have been used" and then "swipe up" to clear it thing and then reopen the app and log in again to connect.
Yes that’s what I’ve done.
Off line with blue base on unit is what I get when the camera can’t see the unit. Happens to me if I put them too far away, or sometimes when they are at the edge of the range and I get a lot of rain.
Maybe it’s not the temp approaching (-18 F now) but mostly the wind and blowing snow, and the wire of the runs interfering? I’ll measure tomorrow but the base unit is around 30-40 feet? away from the cameras, looking out a big window at the coop and run.
Okay actually to bed! Chiquitas letter was great @RebeccaBoyd ! How is Rosie doing with the Covid?

Back
Top Bottom