7 Hens 1 Coop
Betty has been paroled. Everyone is in the coop together. Check out where Hattie has chosen to rest.

mirror mirror on the wall who is the prettiest hen of all? hattie of course
I've only just read this. Has she been found? :hugs
Sadly, there is no sign of her.

This. This a thousand times over is how I feel. Yes, it has lead to heartbreak at times. After the pain is not as raw from loosing one I look back and smile though knowing that they were one of the lucky ones. I'm sure if they could have chosen they would not have traded the life they lived with one in a metal cage.
A beautiful sentiment Rebecca - and I am sure it is true. 💕

Yup that is Perdita. She gets prettier every day. It is hard to believe I was probably minutes away from loosing her as a day old chick. Let's hope that she learned her lesson and has no future plans to try something stupid again. You know as a young chick Branch also tried to kill himself by almost drowning and he is now my favorite. I wonder what the future has in store for her.
.... a trip to Ontario???

Run improvements:
Rand boards along the bottom to more firmly brace the predator skirting. Added hardware cloth and sand bags to the newly installed predator skirt on the wall inside the shed that makes up one of the walls of the run. This is is the wall that had the hole they got out through. Quick crete and river rock was put into the hole itself and allowed to harden. They were super glad to be outside this afternoon. Oreo did not attack me today when I went into the coop to get the eggs.

Attachments

• 7FB93529-8B46-4329-BA15-EDBDE3A3F940.jpeg
    7FB93529-8B46-4329-BA15-EDBDE3A3F940.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • D52C78D1-1D72-48D4-BA3A-B0C9076157B7.jpeg
    D52C78D1-1D72-48D4-BA3A-B0C9076157B7.jpeg
    939.1 KB · Views: 2
This. This a thousand times over is how I feel. Yes, it has lead to heartbreak at times. After the pain is not as raw from loosing one I look back and smile though knowing that they were one of the lucky ones. I'm sure if they could have chosen they would not have traded the life they lived with one in a metal cage.
I hang on to this perspective too. ❤️

Well, my chooks survived the night - we got below -6 F and with the wind chill was -35 F. I do think there are a few that have some frosted tips of combs, but won't know for sure for a day....amazingly, given my set up and no heat/electricity out there, I am pretty happy with this.

( and, no @RoyalChick , we couldn't run an extension cord through the conduit...the plug part kept getting stuck at the bend to come up out of the ground :( )

On a brighter note, my neighbor gave me a belated B-day present:
View attachment 3395223View attachment 3395224View attachment 3395225

They are pot holders - to pick up hot pots! SO cute - and she made them in my favorite color (Blue):love:love
Love them!

I don't know, @BY Bob said she would stay in holding for 12-24 hours...so hearing might not be until tonight or tomorrow morning?:idunno

Are you putting up the bail? Or using a bondsman? Otherwise she will be 'stuck' in jail until she has served her time! (hmmm, doing 'hard' time. Human checking on her and bringing her treats, chatting with her so she isn't lonely, etc., etc., etc....I should have to do such hard time as Betty!!!:lau:lau:lau)

@rural mouse How are your kids doing? It must be absolutely horrid there - I hope they are all okay. I honestly can't imagine living through your temps...God Bless you for coping! Hope that new stove is earning it's keep!
We got the cold beginning of last week. School had delayed start. Last night only dropped to 31F.

Back
Top Bottom