They've had pumpkin and yogurt so lots of pop tonight.

It's dropping to 00d so I'm putting these hands warmers in the socks and under their straw . There's two socks in the coop.
20230205_164752.jpg

It's beautiful tonight 😍
20230205_172743.jpg

20230205_163807.jpg

Tina's bottom is going to be cleaned tomorrow. I been so tired with no sleep I'm ashamed of myself

Last edited:
I am off to go to Peavey Mart today to check out Brooder plates for my trip home.

I have been checking online at the 2 hatcheries I plan on stopping in at - but seems to be that they are sold out of the chicks I want :( I sure hope I can get the ones I want.

The Silver Spangle Hamburgs I just can't seem to get at all, and the Legbar and Welbar are always sold out. And don't even start on the Russian Pavalovskaya chicks - I am taking a huge risk with them as they are sold straight-run. Likely get all roosters with them hahahah my luck!
Getting them from the US is not in consideration, or maybe not possible, right? I came across a place in Vermont that carries a lot of threatened /conservancy/rare breeds. They have Pavalovskaya among other interesting chickens and you can buy them older if autosexing is not in that breed.
https://www.sugar-feather.com/about-sugar-feather-farm/

In big news the outside temperature just got up to freezing. Yay! Still a bit windy.
I managed to chip out the frozen mash and put it out on their new buffet tray ($1 at Habitat for Humanity).
I also managed to empty out the ice block from the hanging waterer. The Math Majors were quite keen on some of the little ice chips.

660E0241-AE4D-465D-B022-B85CDED8BCB1.jpeg
4509CF30-3FCB-4DB2-B1F3-1C2C4CABF6F0.jpeg

I don't think I have ever heard the phrase "going to Italy to get things cheaper" before. Of course it is a longer trip from the US 😆
I have a long answer to this and it has nothing to do with chickens. So I will begin with some tax. When Gaston was a goofy funny cockerel.
IMG_20220823_081940.jpg

I think we all realize that when we visit as tourists a foreign country, what we see in places of touristic interest is only a small glimpse of the country's way of life. One of the bias is obviously higher prices. Italy has many touristic places ; if you stay in Rome, Florence, Venice, or even in rural touristic places like the Cinque terre, the Langhe or the Dolomites everything will be crazy expensive. However in real life, Italian prices are incredibly cheaper than in France. Many people on the french Riviera do their shopping in Italy, going every weekend to Ventimiglia for the producers market to buy vegetables, cheese and deli. Alcohol is a lot cheaper, and of course all Italian products like panettone, grissinis, tarallis, gianduja...it's between two third and half the price. But it's not only food. For us if we go through the mountain road we can be in Saluzzo in piedmonte in a little more than two hours, and they have an incredible agricultural fair every two weeks, where you can buy small agricultural engines much cheaper, and find specialized tools that are just not sold in France, like small handy tractors that can be used in mountains. If ever we need to buy a new stove and can not find one second hand we will also go to Italy to buy like everyone we know. And for the plants, all the Mediterranean plants sold in the south of France apart from olive trees are imported from Italy.
So yes, it is a thing here, but then Nice and where we live only joined France back in 1860 so everyone has a bit of Italian blood.
My partner actually went for a haul yesterday during his working day pause in Nice. He took the train to Menton and cycled to Latte, the first town after the frontier, to buy 96° alcohol (not sold here)... and he came back with his huge backpack full of goodies 🤣.
IMG_20230205_191413.jpg

I really need to get away.

Really
Is everything all right ? I hope you just need some fresh air and that you will find a way 💚.

I’m my defense, that commercial was quite popular in those days!
I didn't realize you were making a cultural reference - I may have slept through whatever decade it was shown as I am not familiar with it.
I missed this one too (though it was my Dad's preferred brand of shirts).
offensive-sexist-vintage-ads%2B%25288%2529.jpg

Just goes to show what Bob mentioned earlier - it is probably wise to be a bit careful.

Searched it up. Turns out it takes 43 hours to get from my house to where you are in Alberta and 2,749 miles. Doesn't look like 2,749 miles to me.
View attachment 3396270
So it turns out I'm wrong. What was Google Earth thinking?
View attachment 3396271
Also, thank you, everyone
View attachment 3396272
Wrong Calculations tax
View attachment 3396278
Maybe Google was taking you the long way around? Head east for 30,000kms 😂 just speaking from my own navigation phone experiences. “No Siri, We will NOT turn the wrong way down a one way street! I don’t care if it takes a little longer… No! Mom! Don’t listen to her… you CANNOT turn left there, fine but you’ll see there’s a concrete divider on the highway and you can’t just turn across it here.” 🙄

Back
Top Bottom