...and now its gone

Hope the gals enjoyed it!
snuggle.JPG

How is your leg? I hope your over the worst of it ❤️

Here is Mist the amazing headless hen!
View attachment 3399077
This reminds me of what my mom used to do. She would slowly put the chicken's head in the wing and that's how the chicken would fall asleep. Don't ask me how that happens.
Anyways, last night, I went to go check on the chickens just before the sky went dark. Who am I awaited?
Parmesan.
And Mozzarella didn't seem to mind having a stroke from me.
But Parmesan was a different story.
She wanted to bite.
Mozzarella wasn't a biter.
So how could her evil twin be a biter?
Well, this photo looks like one body, two heads, three legs. This is what happens when your chickens are never interested in photos.
IMG_1569.jpg

Last edited:
This reminds me of what my mom used to do. She would slowly put the chicken's head in the wing and that's how she would fall asleep. Don't ask my how that happens.
Anyways, last night, I went to go check on the chickens just before the sky went dark. Who am I awaited?
Parmesan.
And Mozzarella didn't seem to mind having a stroke from me.
But Parmesan was a different story.
She wanted to bite.
Mozzarella wasn't a biter.
So how could her evil twin be a biter?
Well, this photo looks like one body, two heads. This is what happens when your chickens are never interested in photos.
View attachment 3399123
That's an awesome photo hahaha a siamese twin!

OK so... at Performance Poultry:

Welbars ('cause I love a barred pattern and dark eggs), and Cream Brabanter (I do so love a chicken with spikey hairdos - as much as wattles - which they don't have BTW); Legbars are not available (what a shocker); and to round out the dark egg layers some Barnvelders who's feathers I love with the dark and light pattern :); maybe a couple Brahma's....

Gonna need a bigger barn the rate I am going!
Find out what day is their hatch day. :jumpyThey usually estimate conservatively when taking orders. For example, Meyer Hatchery, you can call Monday mornings (their hatch day for chickens) and see what they hatched extra of and order then. But...need to call fairly quick, or those get snatched up, too! Sometimes you can call Friday (I think they candle before going on lock-down) and can sometimes get some for the Monday hatch even though that breed may have been listed as 'sold out.':jumpy

But, obviously, no guarantee you can get some, nor the amount you want nor b reed you want...but it is worth a shot. Can you call Performance Poultry and find out their hatch day for chicks? :idunno :idunno

Last edited:
Final Powder update:

We were able to put Powder to rest, I found her today under the bridge in the stream. I will never know precisely what caused her death but I am glad to know she isn't out there hurt, lost or scared.

I hesitated to post this because I don't wish to make anyone sad. However, everyone was so supportive in trying to help me figure out what might have happened to her I thought you would want to know even if it is sad.

Thank you everyone :hugs
View attachment 3398832
I am glad you found her - and could have some closure. :hugs :hugs :hugs She was a beautiful girl!

I get a kick out of how my gaggle of giggly girls (and Mr P) do not want to snuggle on the roost - but try to all cram in together on top of the nest boxes.

I think I will just put in shelves that everyone can sleep on rather than the roosts. Make everyone happy - if that is at all possible!

View attachment 3398915
I think it is from a desire to be as high up as possible, and safe (so not in front of the window). If you had the top level all the same, I wonder what would happen?

Back
Top Bottom