Thank you for sharing and introducing your hens and rooster. The are gorgeous pets!
Welcome to Fluffy Butt Acres. Bob, our host, is tied up at work so may take a few days to get caught up. I know he would want us to welcome you and encourage you to share pictures and stories of your own chickens.
If you look at Bob's signature line you will see a link that gives a summary of this thread which is well worth reading.

Yes I will call them when I get home.

I was just playing around with the check-out cart and it only lets me select 5 of each! I now have 15 pullets in the 'cart'... :th

Why can't this be easy? I want 2 of each: Welbar, Bielefelder, Cream Brabant - that makes 6 chicks - not 15!! gaaaaaaaa!

I guess I can sell the ones I don't want - sheesh! we all know how that will end - what crazy sort of chicken math is this anyways? 13+15= too many chickens!
Chicken math in action! I wanted 3-4. Now that the chickens have won and I am fully suckered in… what is this, too many chickens, you speak of I don't understand, I think I did once but no longer. :lau

Drama at the Chicken Palace - lesson learned.
I didn't have cameras pointing outside so I missed this - but I can pretty much figure out what happened by examining the damage.
The poultry net suppliers always say that it is dangerous to have the fence up without it being electrified. I knew that, but I forgot to turn on the charger, and it has been off a lot recently because I had to replace the battery, and I think the wildlife has forgotten to avoid the fence.
I came out this morning to find the fence ripped out of the ground, my chair knocked over and tangled in the fence. Closer examination revealed some damage to the actual fence netting and some raccoon hair torn off and wedged in parts of the fence.
I think what happened is that the raccoon charged the fence, got tangled and in struggling to get out sent the chair flying.
Lesson learned, keep the fence charged.

Here is the damage to the fence and some tufts of hair as well as the chair as I first found it and once I had untangled it and got it right side up.
0FDF877B-6F1E-46C7-A8B6-DD6E3A267107.jpeg
11AFE921-DD30-40F2-8884-B44DDD7044AB.jpeg

Last edited:
I didn't have cameras pointing outside so I missed this - but I can pretty much figure out what happened by examining the damage.
The poultry net suppliers always say that it is dangerous to have the fence up without it being electrified. I knew that, but I forgot to turn on the charger, and it has been off a lot recently because I had to replace the battery, and I think the wildlife has forgotten to avoid the fence.
I came out this morning to find the fence ripped out of the ground, my chair knocked over and tangled in the fence. Closer examination revealed some damage to the actual fence netting and some raccoon hair torn off and wedged in parts of the fence.
I think what happened is that the raccoon charged the fence, got tangled and in struggling to get out sent the chair flying.

Here is the damage to the fence and some tufts of hair as well as the chair as I first found it and once I had untangled it and got it right side up.
And I wanted a Raccoon burger 🍔!! Rats you missed that one.

Here is the damage to the fence and some tufts of hair as well as the chair as I first found it and once I had untangled it and got it right side up.View attachment 3399690View attachment 3399691
Oh no, I am so sorry this happened 😞 that fence is not cheap, harsh lesson indeed.

Oh no, I am so sorry this happened 😞 that fence is not cheap, harsh lesson indeed.
I think it is still OK. I spent this afternoon untangling and I tested the fence and it seems to be OK.
I don’t think that increased opening poses a real risk if the fence is live. At least I hope not!

Back
Top Bottom