She really is! Sometimes she is almost entirely neon green and purple (except her beard and fluffy butt which don’t shine at all).
She can't get oil onto her beard. Beards tend to get ratty in wet weather because of that as well.

Good morning my favorite Grumpy chicken. You my dear are the reason why I plead nightly with the marshmallows for one of them to at least have a floppy comb. I get dirty looks in response as their combs are barely starting. At least they already have the grumpy faces down pat if they ever do decide to grow their combs.
Their combs will suddenly pop up right before before they start laying. Don't fret. You should certainly get at least one floppy one.

Photos of my favorite Muscovy boy, Salteen! He does not belong to me, but to my friend. (I see him often, he scares everyone away but I know he is a sweet boy)
D2665906-8230-4113-BD4E-96F895258238.jpeg
E781DA25-2293-44DE-BE25-AB67FD9DBE35.jpeg

I am excited!! My mom recently found a breeder near us who is selling Deathlayer chicks! We are planning on picking some up asap, I’m really happy about being able to get a breed that’s usually hard to come by!
Congratulations!

Ok cuckoo/barred polish. Did a bit or searching around and found this article. Disagree with certain points (like broodiness, thank you Phyllis). It looks to be British based and does list cuckoo as a recognized color variety. Also, implies that white crested black are one of the FEW polish varieties to NOT have beard/muffs. Found the explanation of the difference in breed name interesting.

https://poultrykeeper.com/chicken-breeds/poland-chickens/

Copied from the Australian Omlet site (not inflicting the adds on everyone)

Link for anyone wanting to read more
https://www.omlet.com.au/breeds/chickens/poland

Colours of the Poland are very varied. The best known being the white crested black with its black body and white crest. The other two similarly patterned colours are white crested blue and white-crested cuckoo. These three colours do not have a beard and have wattles; all the other colours have a beard with no wattles. They have white earlobes. The crest of the female should be very round with the males being spikier. The eyes are red in all colours and beaks and legs are dark blue in all except the white crested cuckoo, which has a paler beak and legs. The chamois, gold and silver are all laced.

Those are breed standards for showing birds. Variations may be due to "sub" standards resulting in the uniqueness of our beloved feathered friends. Can also be new varieties being developed but not yet recognized in show standards

I bet there was some breeding to Cuckoo Marans for the barring, which might explain the white legs?

Great, now I am going to have to look up Polish Barred Frizzle and see what went into making it. Thanks a lot for pointing this out, @Ponypoor !:rolleyes::rolleyes::tongue
:lau
Let me know what you find 😁

I have a busy day planned but will check in regularly 😁

I would say not Marans as there might then be feathered legs throwbacks

I can also play with post picture stuff like warmth and exposure which mysteriously to me are adjustable after the fact on these phones.
I had a paragraph on filters but deleted it. Every phone is different - I had a phone that I could set some filters pre-shot, but I think my current phone only does post-shot stuff. Still, you’re limited by what kind of light you gather in the first place. Our eyes do not see things the same way a phone camera does!
@bgmathteach you are right about the light spectrum and it doesn’t make sense to me why the Buckeye browns look so great under green light coming through the leaves. However I will guess it’s not so much related to the actual light frequencies and where they are in the frequency spectrum, but to how phones and computers reproduce the pictures, via the RGB pixels, where Red, Green and Blue are distinct and each dedicated to that color. When all are on it is white. All off it’s black I think. I believe they may be equally weighted in numbers and distribution across the screen, and when the data comes in from the camera lens the software tells the pixels to each turn on or stay off. Guessing here now - so in my example the green light from the leaves is strong and the focus area is brown-red, there’s not much sky light reflected in there, so the blue is told to stay low.

Let me know what you find 😁

I have a busy day planned but will check in regularly 😁

I would say not Marans as there might then be feathered legs throwbacks
Marans could be. FRENCH marans wouldn't. The British Marans lines focused on clean legs. For some reason they didn't like the feathered legs inspite of the popularity of Queen Victoria's beloved Cochins (with feathered legs).

I don't think Marans of any kind were used due to the egg color. Brown is dominant over white egg, so getting the shell color back to white would be a monumental obstacle in a breeding program.

Edit: was reading bout the barred Holland chicken, a barred white egg laer developed in early 20th century. White eggs were considered more delicate flavor (suspect more rare among small farm flocks) so a company set out to develop a good multipurpose white egg layer. Used white leghorns, barred rocks and a few others. Based upon this, it is possible to breed out the Brown eggshell.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom