Dame happened to us! And looks like our rooster Snowball
I think you may be a newcomer to this thread. Welcome!
We are a chatty lot but try to keep it all about chickens and we love pictures of chickens.
@BY Bob’s stories that started this thread are truly wonderful. So don’t get out off by the length of the thread - it is well worth reading his stories at the start.

Preparing for take off.
She runs along the length of that cover and launches herself off the end.
She is a Legbar and so I am not surprised she is already quite good at flying.
Ours are decent at flying. Felicitas thinks she can land on top of a bubble wrap mailer that i use to block access to my plants. She is quite disgusted when she lands on the floor behind her. Agathae will fly off of my lap when she is sick of being on it.

I think you may be a newcomer to this thread. Welcome!
We are a chatty lot but try to keep it all about chickens and we love pictures of chickens.
@BY Bob’s stories that started this thread are truly wonderful. So don’t get out off by the length of the thread - it is well worth reading his stories at the start.
@Valerie25106
Welcome to BYC and Fluffy Butt Acres!
Keep reading the thread. I have gotten to over 3000 pages so far and it is well worth it for the amount of info and laughs in it.
We also have a tax system for going off topic-I will leave that to @Ponypoor to explain.
Make sure you share lots of photos of your chooks!

Does anyone here know how to get rid of grain moths in a mealworm colony without tossing the whole thing?
@Ponypoor
Agathae and her comb are doing fine. Everything with the chickens has been pure chaos since the death of Little Chicken (she had no name yet).
We also think one is a rooster. Probably going to need help with that one in the future as well...
I really do not want to have to get rid of the mealworms. If I do I probably will not bother raising them ever again.
I don't once they are there, without tossing (to the chooks, that is!), cleaning/sanitizing, and starting over. That said, I have read that you need to heat your grain in the oven to kill any potential grain moths, etc., then store in a tightly closed container to prevent this from happening. Here is a great video about keeping mealworms. . He starts talking about heat treating at about 16:50. I had a small mealworm farm once, but with my crazy life I didn't keep up with separating the pupa/adults. Since it was so small, I ended up just giving them all to my chooks. I want to get started again, but need more work on the house so there is space. (house is a work in progress - it needed so much work when we bought it a few years ago!)

Aaand...

I am done the Hattie picture!

I will post it tomorrow. It is too late today.
But at first she looked like a water-bellied cochin. Then I corrected that and she looks better. She still looks like a cochin though.
Congratulations!
I am tired and should be in bed. So I will be hauling myself there soon.
I hope you get your sleep!
(I did have a dream that Hattie came into my bed, slept, and then jumped out of it while I was trying to make her more comfortable-the things a cold does to your head].

I don't once they are there, without tossing (to the chooks, that is!), cleaning/sanitizing, and starting over. That said, I have read that you need to heat your grain in the oven to kill any potential grain moths, etc., then store in a tightly closed container to prevent this from happening. Here is a great video about keeping mealworms. . He starts talking about heat treating at about 16:50. I had a small mealworm farm once, but with my crazy life I didn't keep up with separating the pupa/adults. Since it was so small, I ended up just giving them all to my chooks. I want to get started again, but need more work on the house so there is space. (house is a work in progress - it needed so much work when we bought it a few years ago!)
I have mine all togheter in one tank. Never needed to sort and works just fine. My brother now picks out the caterpillars and feeds those to Dominica. Still not enough to reduce the population. Going to have to move the moth trap closer.
I should point out that I hate trapping anything. In CA there was a serious rodent problem at my house and I had to help get rid of them. Good skill in case I need it but I do not want to have to use it.
Oh wait. Uh-oh. Does that make me a rodenteer, @RoyalChick ?

Our other two residents came to us in April as chicks. My wife raised them until they moved outside and then they became my responsibility.

Hattie is our lavender orpington hen. She has not starting laying yet but i expect she will once the days turn longer.
View attachment 1633834

Jabberwockie, Jabber for short, was supposed to be an Easter Egger hen, however, he is clearly not a hen.
View attachment 1633836
He and Hattie are inseperable.
Jabberwokie like the poem???? Oh, the terror! The Jaws that bite the claws that scratch?

Jabberwokie like the poem???? Oh, the terror! The Jaws that bite the claws that scratch?
I would guess so, according to a old post on here.
If you are new to this thread, welcome!
The others on here can explain what goes on better than I can.
Pretty much, we just chat about chickens, ask each other for advice on chickens, and demand, um, kindly request photos from newcomers.
Feel free to jump in right here on the thread and read up as you can. I am still going through the whole thread bit by bit.
If you go off topic, there is tax required. To pay up, share a chicken photo.

Back
Top Bottom