I think this lad has been on the booze
Silly boy will not keep out of the sun
20230527_172839.jpg

He apologized to me about it last year. He definitely is feeling bad about it the more times he sees me with our chickens. Not that he can make it better now but he has tried. Needless to say it was very frustrating at the time.
Well, at least he does recognize it now. I know it doesn't make it better - but at least he is acknowledging it to you. That is something. That must have been on the long ride to the birthday party??? If so, seems like it WAS a good chance to chat - so much better than what you had dreaded!

I'm sorry for your hen, @LhickenChicken. Had you not realized before she passed that she had been laying internally ?
I was heartbroken when I learned Caramel had EYP, I had missed all the clues. Now I've come to realize it will probably happen to all my ex-batts, as to many layers. It's the price they pay for us having pets that make us breakfast.
I keep Caramel in my avatar to remind me of all I learned when she passed.

In happier news : my partner finally built a small second coop inside the actual run and look who's inside making a mess.
View attachment 3515870
Awww, not sure who is cuter - proud momma or the littles!

What is it with 5 littles this year? @RoyalChick , @knoturavggrl 's momma, and my momma (both hatched 5). Now, I do realize that RC's were purchased/ordered, but still all these sets of 5. We need 2 (@RebeccaBoyd - do you have a set of 5 this year? Your leggers were last year's) more of you to have 5 chicks so we can have pentagonal pentagonists! :gig :gig :gig Okay, I know, me and my bad math/numbers humor:rolleyes:

@RoyalChick I love your log roost on the corner brackets. I have a question about it, though - It doesn't look like you shaved a bit on the bottom to give it a flat edge...so I'm wondering if it 'wobbles' some side to side (as looking at it) when chooks hop on? Or is it only used for the littles that don't have enough heft to make it wobble some? I did something similar (though not on brackets, on the ends of 2X4s, but I 'shaved' a flat spot on each end o the the branch/log so it would rest flat and be a bit more stable. I was afraid with full-sized girls hopping on and off, that it would not last long term with a rounded bottom.

Thoughts?
I was too stupid to think about shaving the bottom - good idea! So yes, it does wobble a bit and the big Princesses do use it. Actually it gets some tough action because they big Princesses fly across and land on it.
It is a big branch so I am not sure what will fail first (branch/bracket/screws). Probably the screws. If/when I need to repair it I will try to remember that shaving the base would have been a very smart idea. Not sure I will get around to dismantling it in order to shave the base, but it really is a good idea. I can't believe how dumb I was!
The little branch in the brooder definitely needs shaving and that is on my list - but meanwhile, the wobble is probably good at developing their balance!

This little man right here
View attachment 3516097
He knew I needed him. We have been in the middle of a almost 36 hour fight simply because for the first time in a year dad said something to grandma when she went off on Rosie. Grandma ended up shouting to mom a hour ago was she getting a divorce, mom replied of course not. Well, she cannot stay here then. Me and Rose went outside and hid, I did a much needed deep clean of the coop. Branch never left my side. I have cried into his feathers today and he has just "purred". Well, the chicken equivalent of a purr. I'm back in and he is asleep on my lap. Mom and Rose went to the store and dad is in his room napping. Everyone please forgive me for saying this, I have prayed for this day to eventually come. We have done everything possible for her and it has never been good enough. The things she has said to me or called me when I willing stepped in to take the brunt of it so she would leave Rosie alone will haunt me forever. I know she has dementia, but the majority of the downright hurtful things have been said when she has had moments of clarity and she knew full well what she was saying.
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom