I doubt it. But plants in the same family are the basis of Absinthe which was widely believed to be hallucinogenic and was banned in the US and some European countries.
The compound thought to be responsible is I believe also in this member of the Artemisia family, but I think the theory that Absinthe is highly hallucinogenic is probably a bit of an exaggeration.
I personally don’t like the taste of Absinthe (it tastes of anise which I don’t like) but I have tried it with no ill effects!

Hallucinogen tax: Pooh has big news to impart from her jungle adventure, but Tassels is all tuckered out and needs to nap in the sun.

View attachment 3521091
Looks more like Tassels was rolling down the hill.

Pony Sunday

20230526_094228.jpg

Notice the beautiful rooster in the background.
@Ponypoor
I will go through my photos and pick out the good ones. I have limited time right now.

I doubt it. But plants in the same family are the basis of Absinthe which was widely believed to be hallucinogenic and was banned in the US and some European countries.
The compound thought to be responsible is I believe also in this member of the Artemisia family, but I think the theory that Absinthe is highly hallucinogenic is probably a bit of an exaggeration.
I personally don’t like the taste of Absinthe (it tastes of anise which I don’t like) but I have tried it with no ill effects!

Hallucinogen tax: Pooh has big news to impart from her jungle adventure, but Tassels is all tuckered out and needs to nap in the sun.

View attachment 3521091
Absinthe is legal here in Canada, have seen it in the local liquor store. Very expensive though!

It has been legal in the US since 2007 with regulated Thujone levels. I dont mind the Anise flavouring rather like black liquorice.

Tax
Well only see the big kiddos, tweens must be staying in bed!

BC0DF870-E4F5-4A94-9E87-4086C9C18AA6.png

She seems to be doing a bit better. Her left leg seems to bother her and she gets around, but it's awkward, like she is walking on stilts or something.

I am dosing their water with electrolytes and B vitamins in the hopes that it will help.

The wee one in question, Viola. I think she might be a cream legbar.

View attachment 3521192
I missed something? 😯😯😯
Did you mention them before or is this a surprise? Where, when, how and what ? 😊
(Whoops ...made a double post somehow ...edited to correct!)

Last edited:
I missed something? 😯😯😯
Did you mention them before or is this a surprise? Where, when, how and what ? 😊
(Whoops ...made a double post somehow ...edited to correct!)
Yes, I got some chicks, but didn't make an announcement because one of them was struggling and I was feeling rather low about it.

I did mention it to @Ponypoor as I tried to get Penny to accept the chicks. She had only been broody nine days and I tried twice, but she was growling, flaring her feathers and pecking. I was not brave enough to leave the chicks with her!

The little chick who struggled had pasty bum that had to be cleaned every day for a week. She wasn't eating and had something wrong with her leg and wasn't gaining weight. She peeped in distress most of the time and I didn't know if she was in pain or what was wrong. It was so frustrating not being sure of what to do to help her. She is doing much better now and I am hoping that she will pull through.

I will post photos tomorrow.

Yes, I got some chicks, but didn't make an announcement because one of them was struggling and I was feeling rather low about it.

I did mention it to @Ponypoor as I tried to get Penny to accept the chicks. She had only been broody nine days and I tried twice, but she was growling, flaring her feathers and pecking. I was not brave enough to leave the chicks with her!

The little chick who struggled had pasty bum that had to be cleaned every day for a week. She wasn't eating and had something wrong with her leg and wasn't gaining weight. She peeped in distress most of the time and I didn't know if she was in pain or what was wrong. It was so frustrating not being sure of what to do to help her. She is doing much better now and I am hoping that she will pull through.

I will post photos tomorrow.
I hope she gets better. Chicks are so cute and lively but so tiny and fragile 😔.

I totally understand- I have so many issues in my flock now that sometimes it feels painful to talk about them. I'm sorry if I was intrusive. I hope you can find it in you to still enjoy the healthy chicks even while worrying for that tiny one.

Back
Top Bottom