Can't wait to see that ones leg warmers :)

I have been following this person hatching chicks who accidentally cracked an egg at 17 days, anyways he has a chick that had to be helped hatch and not seems to have some issues with a twisted neck and maybe splay leg.

Another person suggested contacting them to treat 'splay leg' or if one of the legs gives any issues. Here is the link to the conversation:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dented-egg-day-17.1581878/post-26884337

Maybe contact that person to see if they have any suggestions for Viola.
Thanks, I originally thought splay leg and put a hobble on Viola for a while but she has never had trouble walking, it just looked awkward. She also held up her left leg in pain pose and continually bit her toes on that foot.

Originally, her stance seemed wider than the other chicks, so that's why I tried the hobble. Her feet are closer together now. Hoping she is healing 🤞!

Thanks, I originally thought splay leg and put a hobble on Viola for a while but she has never had trouble walking, it just looked awkward. She also held up her left leg in pain pose and continually bit her toes on that foot.

Originally, her stance seemed wider than the other chicks, so that's why I tried the hobble. Her feet are closer together now. Hoping she is healing 🤞!
If you can get a video of her walking maybe others here can make suggestions - maybe RC?

@Ponypoor a friend sent me this on facebook. I'm sure it resonates with you as much as it does me.
I just had a stamped here of chicks - I clicked on the video and the music started playing and they all bolted hahahahaha.

Guess I haven't been singing and playing music as much (at all) as I have been doing all the chores needing doing!

No, I have not had hot weather!!!! We are lucky to get into the double digits, 10C, plus we have 30 km/hr winds to go with it!!

I got a play tent like @RoyalChick has for their first introduction to the foraging yard, but it has been too cold. I am going to try for this week, but I feel like it should be at least 15C. They could run right through the netting that I have in the foraging yard, so I want them contained at first.
Oh that's miserable - it finally turned nice here, been a week without rain (Yep the farmers are whining), and none predicted in the next week. Big fires in NS now. I am waiting to see what happens around here this week with temps near the 30C mark.

I had my chicks out side when it was miserable, I made sure they had a box to run into for a break from the wind and cold. But I only kept them out for about 20 min at a time, I sat on my lawn chair and kept an eye on them, they didn't roam too far from me. I was going to take the school chicks out on the grass but it is now up near 30 and not a breath of wind, such a dramatic change from a few days ago - and the mornings are still around 8C brrr - too big a swing in temperatures. They came inside with me here in the office where it's cool.

Yuck. Ok. I may have to get my Mom to help with any surgical things. I may be able to do surgery on a tablet but I cannot do it with a chook.
I hope no surgery is necessary to remove the bumblefoot.
Alex came up with a good solution with bumble foot. Witch Hazel and vasilene . I've also used alcohol and caster oil. They scales eventually drop off on their own the oil suffocates bumble foot. So it's a burn and suffocate methods

Alex came up with a good solution with bumble foot. Witch Hazel and vasilene . I've also used alcohol and caster oil. They scales eventually drop off on their own the oil suffocates bumble foot. So it's a burn and suffocate methods
I think that might be scaly leg mites you are talking about there?

Chillaxing with me

Tippy and a white chick on the crate door (towel on the door).

DCEF3BA6-1F3B-432E-8FA9-3077E4DE8BE4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom