I have one of mine run a span of 10' wide (20' long) and it works well. That said, 16' is a long run and it most likely will sag some in the middle. Could you run a couple of 16' (or maybe 18') 2X4s from the barn to the fence? Depending on the length, certainly one on each end of the tarp....but maybe one in the middle, too? (I am hesitant about one in the middle, as a breeze will cause it to rub and possibly wear). You could probably start with one shade tarp 10;X16', with a 2x4 at each end, and see how it works for you. If you like it, put up one additional 2x4 and run a second tarp. That would end up giving you a 20X16 shaded space, be more manageable for you, and help limit the sag. Mine do just fine with strong winds and heavy rains so far - they are porous enough. Just don't let leaves build up on it and then get a heavy rain storm. Mine is under a pine and near some maples - I just take a BLUNT stick or shovel and push up/shake the tarp from underneath and most of the detritus shakes/falls off.

While this would give them protection from the rain and sun, It will also catch the wind something fierce and try to take off on you!
Oh yes I have seen those tents take off - most exciting around horses and cattle hahahaha!

I could run a 2x18' from barn to fence no problem, there would be no issue with load as the tarp isn't that heavy. I have no trees nearby, it would only be stupid horses tearing it down. I would also need to take into account the gateways.

But yes a couple of them would work great.

I can't put anything on the south side of the barn as that is an open paddock side - the fence is 50' from the barn :) But I could drap from the roof to the ground where my office is and the west side ( my office is on the southwest corner of the barn - YES roasting in here in the evening. But really nice in the winter.

OK so I will need to check into this - most interesting - wish my mum hadn't given away the RV shades - they would have been great on the NW hen house side..... Maybe my uncle doesn't want them... ?

Oh yes I have seen those tents take off - most exciting around horses and cattle hahahaha!

I could run a 2x18' from barn to fence no problem, there would be no issue with load as the tarp isn't that heavy. I have no trees nearby, it would only be stupid horses tearing it down. I would also need to take into account the gateways.

But yes a couple of them would work great.

I can't put anything on the south side of the barn as that is an open paddock side - the fence is 50' from the barn :) But I could drap from the roof to the ground where my office is and the west side ( my office is on the southwest corner of the barn - YES roasting in here in the evening. But really nice in the winter.

OK so I will need to check into this - most interesting - wish my mum hadn't given away the RV shades - they would have been great on the NW hen house side..... Maybe my uncle doesn't want them... ?
This probably won’t help then:
IMG_3174.png

Hmmm wonder about the exchange and shipping on that - will need to check that in more depth. I think that 2, 16' x 24' would be perfect; the measurements are (barn wall x allyway x fence = 'd') 8x16x5= just over 16' for 'd'.
Okay, then you really want an 18' wide tarp. The hypotenuse is about 16' 4", (if the allyway is exactly 16') and a 16' tarp is, finished, 15'6". (assume 6" shorter on all dimensions for finishing - the dimensions stated are essentially the fabric dimensions before folding over and making the finished edge)

Isn't the 5' dimension of fencing too low with the horses? Would you want to sister a couple of the fence posts with 8' 2x4s, and then run a topper between them to raise that end of the shade tarp? (If so, I would also suggest running an angled support to the 2 sistered posts so it doesn't pull your fence sideways/make it lean.

Well, if it doesn't work for the horses and the alleyway, then it could be draped over the rooster run. Provide shade for the chooks AND aerial protection from hawks (If you cinched a couple up tight to each other around the pine.)

Okay, then you really want an 18' wide tarp. The hypotenuse is about 16' 4", (if the allyway is exactly 16') and a 16' tarp is, finished, 15'6". (assume 6" shorter on all dimensions for finishing - the dimensions stated are essentially the fabric dimensions before folding over and making the finished edge)

Isn't the 5' dimension of fencing too low with the horses? Would you want to sister a couple of the fence posts with 8' 2x4s, and then run a topper between them to raise that end of the shade tarp? (If so, I would also suggest running an angled support to the 2 sistered posts so it doesn't pull your fence sideways/make it lean.

Well, if it doesn't work for the horses and the alleyway, then it could be draped over the rooster run. Provide shade for the chooks AND aerial protection from hawks (If you cinched a couple up tight to each other around the pine.)
Well, that makes perfect sense!🤔 I take back some of the things I’ve said about you! :old

Brownie and the babies made it through the night and the morning mayhem before I opened the pop door this morning around 9am. Woohoo 🥳 Barring something unforeseen the brooder tent is coming down tomorrow.
View attachment 3524448
Well done Brownie. Integration achieved much earlier and smoother with Brownie taking the lead. She really has done wonderful with them.

Well done Brownie. Integration achieved much earlier and smoother with Brownie taking the lead. She really has done wonderful with them.
Brownie for the win!
She is a rockstar for sure and she was mighty sick of that tent 😂 She seems much happier to be back in with everyone. I am thrilled about this as she will have plenty of time to teach them to roost and for them to find there way into the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom