Here is Young Miss Tassels. @RebeccaBoyd - see, she really does have feathered feet. To be honest they alarm me now and then because I think her leg is all swollen and then I realize it is just feathers. It looks like she is getting some fluffy muffs coming in. Or maybe that is just chick fluff making its way out.
She is noticably bigger than the other four. I suspect she will grow up to be a big gal.
View attachment 3524700View attachment 3524701

Of course Piglet noticed there was a photo shoot in progress and demanded in on the action.
She is such a ham!

View attachment 3524702
View attachment 3524703
That Piglet knows how to work the camera! Tassels is so pretty, she is going to be stunning as a adult. It will not be long and you will stop being alarmed at her feathered legs but learn to admire them. She is your gateway chicken, next time around you will be ready for a pure BCM and those dark chocolate eggs that come with them.

Tax for lots of shadecloth talk:

My BLACK:rolleyes: Jersey Giant. He is quite large, but still light in weight (he is 9 mos. old - lanky teen feel!) He is a very good boy with the ladies - I'm so glad I chose him as a 'keeper'
IMG_3247[1].JPG

So, not the best picture of her, but she kept moving on me. She is almost 2, and an EE. She has always struck me as stunning, and I have been toying with naming her 'Tuxie'. Again, the photo doesn't do her justice, but she is black with a lot of white in her hackles, and it always makes me thing of the female version of a tuxedo...so I was thinking Tuxie or Tuckie' Is this too corny?
IMG_3224[1].JPG

This is Mr. Jersey Giants 's second in command, a Cuckoo Marans boy. He isn't as gentle with the girls, but he is a fierce defender and really good look-out

IMG_3257[1].JPG

Yes! :love Those 2, for just babies, are showing that stance. The others have their head down/level, for the most part.

Am I missing something? 76z8w etc....is it supposed to mean something??:confused:
Dunno where the funky code came. The stance is how I picked Hector out last year. The black chick I left there popped it while running around the brooder there. I thought I saw it in a couple more, but wasnt sure which ones. Of 12 hatched, 1 black, feather foot: Hector x Brahma (suspect roo). 1 more feather foot (got that one), 2 more clean leg with same face. 1 reddish chippy (first hatched, her eggs, niece claimed). 3 buff, 2 with muffs, 1 without. 1 muff was her eggs, not sure which one. I have the without and the 1 with dark spot on head. 2 dark head chippies (have both) 2 lighter classic chippies, 1 straight streak, 1 curl streak eyeliner (one was a sussex egg, but dunno which one, left them there too). That's 12 chicks. ALL except the 3 buff and the black have chipmunk stripes. Not sure which chippies popped the stances, but roos are expected.

That Piglet knows how to work the camera! Tassels is so pretty, she is going to be stunning as a adult. It will not be long and you will stop being alarmed at her feathered legs but learn to admire them. She is your gateway chicken, next time around you will be ready for a pure BCM and those dark chocolate eggs that come with them.
Love the eggs. Both Tassels and Calypso have rather impressive tails. They are still a bit ragged as they are growing in but you can tell they will be quite splendid.
I noticed today that neither of them shine green in the sun. They were with Eli who was shimmering like an emerald. Does that only come with adult feathers? Or do some black chickens not shine in colors?

Tax for tediously going on about my chickens because I am besotted! Tassels and Calypso working their way to becoming fluffy butt models.
EBA21B13-6972-47EF-88FE-84606B9CBD15.jpeg

Last edited:
Tax for lots of shadecloth talk:

My BLACK:rolleyes: Jersey Giant. He is quite large, but still light in weight (he is 9 mos. old - lanky teen feel!) He is a very good boy with the ladies - I'm so glad I chose him as a 'keeper'
View attachment 3524753

So, not the best picture of her, but she kept moving on me. She is almost 2, and an EE. She has always struck me as stunning, and I have been toying with naming her 'Tuxie'. Again, the photo doesn't do her justice, but she is black with a lot of white in her hackles, and it always makes me thing of the female version of a tuxedo...so I was thinking Tuxie or Tuckie' Is this too corny?
View attachment 3524756

This is Mr. Jersey Giants 's second in command, a Cuckoo Marans boy. He isn't as gentle with the girls, but he is a fierce defender and really good look-out

View attachment 3524759
Tuxie (maybe Trixie) looks like what I thought Sylvie would grow up to be like with the silver hackles and the dark body.
Very sharp!

Love the eggs. Both Tassels and Calypso have rather impressive tails. They are still a bit ragged as they are growing in but you can tell they will be quite splendid.
I noticed today that neither of them shine green in the sun. They were with Eli who was shimmering like an emerald. Does that only come with adult feathers? Or do some black chickens not shine in colors?

Tax for tediously going on about my chickens because I am besotted! Tassels and Calypso working their way to becoming fluffy butt models.
View attachment 3524798
The shine will come after about their 4th juvenile molt. Roughly 4 months or so of age. I do not know what is is about those first few sets of black feathers but they are dull. I wonder if it has something to do as a defensive camouflage method. As a small chick I guess you do not want to be all shiny for a hawk to spot. They are 5 to 6 weeks old now correct? I am very happy to report that I am not spotting any copper feathering at all on Tassels back. Your breeder knew his stuff on correctly guessing her as a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom